A teacher needs help

apples-99

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Hi everyone!

I am so excited to have found a forum to help me. I teach kindergarten in Connecticut. A parent decided that because I love science she would collect money from the other parents and get me a class pet. She presented the class and I with a red footed tortoise. This is not an animal I knew much about and I have done some research on her but I could use your help. I was very upset with this parent for presenting me with an animal I was not prepared to take care of. I did my best in setting up and feeding her but I can use some of your expert advice.

The class has named her Bingo ("There was a teacher, who had a tortoise and Bingo was her name-o...). I have been feeding her fresh produce daily - romaine lettuces, peas, dandelion greens, tomatoes, strawberries,... along with a dusting of calcium. She has also been brought to a local vet who has taken care of various tortoises before. What I could really use some help with is the enclosure I have in my classroom.. I am finding discussions on enclosures a bit confusing. Can someone help me with a set up that would work in my classroom? The types of lights I need, the best substrate, the size of the enclosure...

Thank you for all your help,
apples-99

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You'll be happiest with a closed chamber enclosure.
You need temps from 78 and 88 and humidity of over 80%. An adult needs a LOT of room and it'll need a source of UVB.
Don't buy a coiled, compact fluorescent lamp.
And in Connecticut and inside a classroom it will be difficult. It's not really an animal that likes a lot of bright lights, or a lot of movement or a lot of handling.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello & welcome !
How old/what size is the tortoise ? For a smaller size, try searching "Pearly's closed chamber" or something along those lines.
Ill also tag her so she'll see this thread. @Pearly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not a fan of a tortoise for class pet. In my opinion, they should not be handled. And it's really not possible for a teacher to pay attention to what's going on with the children and the tortoise all the time.

Here's some good info on RF tortoises for you:

Tortoise Library

apples-99

Connecticut
Thanks for the advice. I suspected as much zeropilot. I had Bingo in my room for May when I got her and two weeks in June and I could tell she was not happy. She is much happier here at home with me. And as much as I wasn't prepared for her I am learning a lot about her and have fallen in love with her and her definite personality.

She is more work than I was ready for. But she's mine and I love her, but I think she'll have to be a house pet and not a classroom pet

Yvonne G thanks that is very helpful.

LInhdan Nguyen Bingo is about 8 years old and pretty big.

Thanks for helping this teacher learn more,
Megan

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone!

I am so excited to have found a forum to help me. I teach kindergarten in Connecticut. A parent decided that because I love science she would collect money from the other parents and get me a class pet. She presented the class and I with a red footed tortoise. This is not an animal I knew much about and I have done some research on her but I could use your help. I was very upset with this parent for presenting me with an animal I was not prepared to take care of. I did my best in setting up and feeding her but I can use some of your expert advice.

The class has named her Bingo ("There was a teacher, who had a tortoise and Bingo was her name-o...). I have been feeding her fresh produce daily - romaine lettuces, peas, dandelion greens, tomatoes, strawberries,... along with a dusting of calcium. She has also been brought to a local vet who has taken care of various tortoises before. What I could really use some help with is the enclosure I have in my classroom.. I am finding discussions on enclosures a bit confusing. Can someone help me with a set up that would work in my classroom? The types of lights I need, the best substrate, the size of the enclosure...

Thank you for all your help,
apples-99

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Please post picture(s) of your tort, and be careful with the way the children handle him/her.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a YOUTUBE video called:
TORTOISE HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE.
It shows some simple housing ideas for a Redfoot outdoors.
Can you keep him at home and just bring him to class on special occasions?
This way, the smaller enclosure would be less stressful, because it would just be for a few hours.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OK, I rehomed two rescue redfoots to an education center. Yes, it can work.

First, a big enclosure is needed. There needs to be an open area where people can observe them. And another area they can escape to. NO VISITORS reaching into this area. It is their sanctuary.

With this set up, one of the torts was always by people area. They feed him, pet him. etc. He was always fine with it. He also travels in a reptile show during the winter. He is outgoing and seems to be fine with all the attention. His brother (they are separated within the enclosure by a wall) started out much shyer, but he tolerates people much more now while at the center. Being fed around visitors and by visitors helps. He comes by the visitors much more now. He doesn't travel though.