Hello

Jlabiche

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, LA
Hi everyone. I am a teacher in Louisiana, US. My principal allows me to keeps class pets. I teach at an inner city school. By having pets in my classroom I am able to expose my students and other students in the school to animals they may never get to experience. Last year we introduced a hamster that they all adored. He will be coming back for this school year. I am adding a fat tail gecko this year. I would also love to add a tortoise if possible. I am looking to learn all I can before adding one. I would prefer one that stays small so that the enclosure doesn't need to be overly large and also so that I can keep it in my classroom for years to come.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's difficult to keep a tortoise at school unless you bring it home nightly. The school turns off lights nights and week ends and the tortoise needs his light/heat all the time.

Jlabiche

Iowa, LA
It's difficult to keep a tortoise at school unless you bring it home nightly. The school turns off lights nights and week ends and the tortoise needs his light/heat all the time.

I can make sure his light and heat pad or lamp stay on at all times. That part would not be a problem.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
1. How much money are you allowed to spend or planning to spend for this tortoise?
2. Are you paying for this or is the school covering the cost of the tortoise, enclosure, and equipment?

Even the smallest average adult tortoise is going to require an 8ft by 4ft by 2ft indoor enclosure, preferably closed chamber style, meaning a enclosure with a fully covered top to keep temperature and humidity levels from easily escaping. That would be something very important to know.

A typical setup cost for small species, not counting the cost of the tortoise can range from several hundred dollars to well over a grand depending on the quality of said equipment and enclosure.