Happy to have found this site!

Emily Mitchell

I am a science teacher in Northern New York, I have a Red Footed Tortoise as a class pet. I have had her about one year now, I have had some trouble in the past with humidity levels and her eyes not opening. I have a humidifier in her terrarium and it keeps the humidity between 50-55%. I was soaking her substrate to help with humidity, but then she got a mild case of shell rot, which I was able to correct with betadine and anti-fungal cream. This week she has been very lethargic, not eating much as all since Monday. She hasn't eaten at all in the last two days and can't open her eyes.

If anyone could give me any clues to what might be the issue that would be great!!
Thanks!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations
what is the diet like? temps? any fecal test done?

Emily Mitchell

Here are a few pics of her and her enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 19

Emily Mitchell

Salutations
what is the diet like? temps? any fecal test done?
I feed her every other day, always with leafy greens and then I mix in a combination of fruits and veggies depending on the day. I usually spray on calcium supplement, from Zilla, every few days or once a week. I also give her timothy on top of her food.

Emily Mitchell

I feed her every other day, always with leafy greens and then I mix in a combination of fruits and veggies depending on the day. I usually spray on calcium supplement, from Zilla, every few days or once a week. I also give her timothy on top of her food.
I have not done a fecal test, I am not even sure if there is a vet in my area that would treat a tortoise. The temps are usually around 75 degrees.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I wouldn't ever keep a red foot at 90 ambient, it will cause severe dehydration. Keep it around 80-85 ambient. Maybe get a 60w ceramic heat lamp to put at the other end of the enclosure.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
the temps need to be in the 90s the tort can't digest food if the temps are below 85. shell rot is caused by the tort being cold and wet.

i'm not sure where you heard this but it's wrong red's do not like high temps high temps will deter them from eating and being active they aren't like the sun worshiping species like sulcata's and russian's and other's are

redfoot's need high humidity atleast in the 70s to truly be happy but i'd aim for the 80's same with temps stay in the 80s it doesn't have to extremely hot but with high humidity don't let it drop below the 80s or you could have some problems such as respiratory infection oh and make sure you're tort has a lot of hides it could stress if not

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
i'm not sure where you heard this but it's wrong red's do not like high temps high temps will deter them from eating and being active they aren't like the sun worshiping species like sulcata's and russian's and other's are

redfoot's need high humidity atleast in the 70s to truly be happy but i'd aim for the 80's same with temps stay in the 80s it doesn't have to extremely hot but with high humidity don't let it drop below the 80s or you could have some problems such as respiratory infection oh and make sure you're tort has a lot of hides it could stress if not
i thought that was for all torts, I'm sorry i posted wrong info