Happy to have found this site!

Emily Mitchell

i'm not sure where you heard this but it's wrong red's do not like high temps high temps will deter them from eating and being active they aren't like the sun worshiping species like sulcata's and russian's and other's are

redfoot's need high humidity atleast in the 70s to truly be happy but i'd aim for the 80's same with temps stay in the 80s it doesn't have to extremely hot but with high humidity don't let it drop below the 80s or you could have some problems such as respiratory infection oh and make sure you're tort has a lot of hides it could stress if not
How do you keep the humidity level so high? Should the substrate be saturated? I have a humidifier in there and it keeps the humidity in the 50s. I will try to add another lamp at the other end this evening, hopefully that increases the temps! She has the log hide, that she uses rarely, she seems to prefer being hidden in the leaves.

I found somewhere that one end of the enclosure should be hot and moist and the other end cooler and dry. Is that accurate?

Emily Mitchell

The eye problem is down to humidity; it needs to be 70%+ constantly. To avoid shell rot, use a substrate such as leaflitter that can stay relatively dry on top while maintaining humidity.
Ok, that's what I will do, where do you usually get your substrate? She has fine coconut bark now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Emily:

Redfooted tortoise-keeping is a little different from what we usually talk about on the Forum (sulcatas and Russians). You will find some very good reading at Tortoise Library

The habitat can be about 80F overall. They don't need a warm side/cool side. The humidity needs to be a bit higher, probably why the eyes won't open, however, if it's not warm enough with the humidity, the tortoise will get sick.

What happens on the week-ends? Are the lights and heat for your tortoise on a timer?

Emily Mitchell

Hi Emily:

Redfooted tortoise-keeping is a little different from what we usually talk about on the Forum (sulcatas and Russians). You will find some very good reading at Tortoise Library

The habitat can be about 80F overall. They don't need a warm side/cool side. The humidity needs to be a bit higher, probably why the eyes won't open, however, if it's not warm enough with the humidity, the tortoise will get sick.

What happens on the week-ends? Are the lights and heat for your tortoise on a timer?

I just got another light hooked up on the other side of the enclosure. The temperature has started to rise. So hopefully the temperature problem will be fixed. I just don't know how to get the humidity levels to increase and stay that high. I Spray down her enclosure with water and it rises for an hour or two but then drops again.

She comes home with me on the weekends or holidays :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
We are happy to have you here. Welcome. This is a great place to learn and share!!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
How do you keep the humidity level so high? Should the substrate be saturated? I have a humidifier in there and it keeps the humidity in the 50s. I will try to add another lamp at the other end this evening, hopefully that increases the temps! She has the log hide, that she uses rarely, she seems to prefer being hidden in the leaves.

I found somewhere that one end of the enclosure should be hot and moist and the other end cooler and dry. Is that accurate?

i use coco coir and i use a closed chamber if you have it open your gonna lose heat and humidity like flintus said you want the top layer dry to avoid shell rot if you're not using a closed chamber you'll be amazed a what they can do as far as holding in heat and humidity you also should plant it heavily reds don't like to be viewed all the time they like to hang around plants and no that is not accurate you want a ambient temp and humidity feel free to ask any question's we have some REALLY knowledgeable members that have helped me a lot
The eye problem is down to humidity; it needs to be 70%+ constantly. To avoid shell rot, use a substrate such as leaflitter that can stay relatively dry on top while maintaining humidity.

this person deserves a cookie! lol seriously tho i had a theory about the humidity being the cause of the eye's but i wasn't sure so i didnt wanna say anything
i thought that was for all torts, I'm sorry i posted wrong info

it's ok we're all still learning but every species has it's own individual need's there is no one care sheet for all tortoises i just happen to know red's that it i'm clueless when it comes to sulcata's or russian's or pretty much any species other then what i have lol

Emily Mitchell

i use coco coir and i use a closed chamber if you have it open your gonna lose heat and humidity like flintus said you want the top layer dry to avoid shell rot if you're not using a closed chamber you'll be amazed a what they can do as far as holding in heat and humidity you also should plant it heavily reds don't like to be viewed all the time they like to hang around plants and no that is not accurate you want a ambient temp and humidity feel free to ask any question's we have some REALLY knowledgeable members that have helped me a lot

this person deserves a cookie! lol seriously tho i had a theory about the humidity being the cause of the eye's but i wasn't sure so i didnt wanna say anything

it's ok we're all still learning but every species has it's own individual need's there is no one care sheet for all tortoises i just happen to know red's that it i'm clueless when it comes to sulcata's or russian's or pretty much any species other then what i have lol

I am using the Coco Coir substrate right now, I am planning on adding some moss or leaves to help have a dry top layer. We were able to get the temperature raised up to 80 degrees F and the humidity levels are in the 70s now. We took out the humidifier that was in there and added a water container with an aerator in it, it has helped tremendously!! She seems to be doing so much better already, she is opening her eyes and ate a little. She still has a little white film almost at the corners of her eyes.

Emily Mitchell

Thank you all for all of your help! This is such a fabulous forum! I am so glad I stumbled across it today!!