6 mth Baby Tortoises aren't eating - are they hibernating?

Liz0r

Hi! I'm a new owner and I'm worried! I have two 6 month old Horsefield Tortoises and they have not eaten since I got them - which was Sunday - 4 days ago!
They seem to just want to move around and have their eyes closed - are they hibernating?
And if I pick them up they are making a noise at me like put me down - I'm worried :(

Liz0r

I bought them from a breeder - they gave them two me in a cardboard box.
When I got them one was already moving around and walking, the other had one eye closed and one eye opened but when i took him out they were both open. I have an enclosure set up with eco stuff on the base, basking lamp and a place to hide.
I've put water and food but they haven't touched it but i know they are moving around.
How do I know if it's a respiratory problem?

Liz0r

None of that - bubbles or mucus! phew! just hard breathing which I assume I have just scared them.
Coolest area is about 20C I would say, overnight it's been about 15C
I have yet to soak them in lukewarm water, can I do that any time?
Would it be fair to say to soak them and then try and feed? How long would I soak them for?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Liz:

If your babies eyes are shut, you have a serious problem that you must address immediately. Clear your mind of everything you thought you knew about caring for them, and re-read the two care sheets pinned at the top of the russian tortoise section, paying particular attention to the care sheet for baby russian tortoises. Your babies are acting like they are because of the care you are giving them. Something is not right. If you don't fix it quickly, they may die.

In the meantime, soak them every day in warm water for at least 15 minutes and make sure the temperature in their habitat is at least 80F degrees.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Your getting some good advise from Yvonne . She will help if you follow it . Have s great tort day !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Liz, I have to admit to some frustration here. You knew you had a problem, or several problems, days ago and several members have taken the time to help you out and post links explaining everything. On all of those links it says to soak them. On all of those links it says to keep babies warm. On none of those care sheets does it recommend night temps of 15 C for babies. Are you unable to open the links and read the care sheets? I will be happy to just copy/paste all the text for you right here if you are having trouble.

I will link them here again to make it as easy as possible for you. Babies have a small margin of error. The mistakes you are making could be lethal if you don't correct them soon. Your babies are not hibernating, they are in the process of getting sick, or getting sicker. Also, I don't recall if you are using any UV. Are you? Which type?

I see you have made some improvements, but temperatures are of critical importance to reptiles and it seems like you don't have that aspect under control yet.

Please read these threads. It will only take a minute or two and it will explain all you need to know about what equipment to use, what temps they need and how to set them up.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

I hope we can help get your set up right before it is too late.

Liz0r

It's open, they opened their eyes and demolished some food yesterday but yes I will soak them.
I just don't have a lot of times on my hands, you may be experts but don't need to get aggressive, I will look after them because I love tortoises.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Liz I honestly don't think anyone's getting aggessive with you. We want your little ones to be healthy. When they are as young as yours its very important they are kept warm, Please if you just let Tom and Yvonne help you and understand they are way more experienced than we are they know what works. If you do as they say it will certainly save their lives. And please do soak them daily about 15 min in warm water. I wish you and your little ones nothing but the best . :)

Last edited:

Liz0r

Thanks, I apologies if I jumped the gun, but I am trying my best and want the best for them too.
Appreciate the help I really do.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Its what we are here for to learn all we can about keeping our shelled friends healthy, and happy. Just remember we all had to start somewhere. :)
@Tom is an awesome keeper and very experienced. So is @ Yvonne G. They are awesome.
I'm glad your little ones ate and are coming around. What type of lighting are you using?