Hello me again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda :)

5 Year Member
Hello again,

Now I'm sure you know that I have 2 gorgeous 2 year old horsefields and I was wondering if fellow tortoise/horsefield owners have any knowledge of the temperament on them towards people! For example I love them and pick them up to check their shells etc and I stroke their little heads and I'm not sure if they like it or not? I also have friends with torts and they say that the recognise their voice and will always come to see them and know they are there where mine just seem to ignore me :/ I know they aren't like cats and dogs but do they like Human contact? Do any of you have any stories on how your tortoises are towards you?

Thanks in advance :)

Amanda

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
From what I've noticed and seen here, they can't actually hear our voices. They feel vibrations from the ground and recognize us as the source of food and will come to us for that reason. I'm not sure they like being picked up, it's an awkward and insecure feeling for them to not have their feet on the ground, but yes lots of tortoises appear to like being rubbed and pet on the neck and head.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Mine love to be petted. I also talk to them. Sometimes, I think they understand me. They have such neat personalities. They love people that love them.:D

5 Year Member
pdrobber said:
From what I've noticed and seen here, they can't actually hear our voices. They feel vibrations from the ground and recognize us as the source of food and will come to us for that reason. I'm not sure they like being picked up, it's an awkward and insecure feeling for them to not have their feet on the ground, but yes lots of tortoises appear to like being rubbed and pet on the neck and head.

Aww thank you.. Yeah that makes sense with them being picked up I will do that less often! :) and good I do like to stroke their necks and head but they get scared and put their head in their shell hehe! But I have only had them 3 weeks ish so they prob still have to get used to me a lot better :) fingers crossed a few months down the line they'll trust me more.. Thanks for both your replies! :)

Amanda

Utah Lynn said:
Mine love to be petted. I also talk to them. Sometimes, I think they understand me. They have such neat personalities. They love people that love them.:D

Aww I can't wait for them to really show their personality at the moment they don't really pay toooo much attention to me! :( but I'm sure they will in time!

X

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mine lives outdoors, so he is down under now..his space is 4x8 and he cruises the entire area. When I show up he comes over and 'begs' for his food.. I dont pick him up or hold him, i just like watching them. but he is very responsive.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Mine are all different! Bella wanders up to the French Windows and sticks her neck out, I also get 'The Look' if when I put her food down it doesn't contain her favourites. She loves the top of her head stroked, whereas Niles and Oscar, my 2 boys both like to be stroked under their chins.

Fluffy is the oddball, she sits on my knee, snuggles in and goes to sleep.

Cutie is never still and gets fidgety when I pick her up, but loves her bath and raises her head up if I sprinkle water on her.

Daisy and Buttercup are just way to self involved for attention, they look at me, then just turn and walk away... you really know when you've been ignored by a tortoise.....

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Today I was having a rough day. I live alone, just Sheldon for company. So I went to talk to him and started venting, speaking pretty quietly. He woke up, looked at me, and walked over to me. He stuck his head out and let me pet him for a good while. I've only had him for 3 weeks, so I'm surprised he did that. I don't really understand why he did it, but I felt better after that. :)

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Sorry to hear about your rough day :( But so glad Sheldon helped you through it. People tell me all the time "Oh Tortoises are dull....." Mine NEVER are! x

babylove6635

5 Year Member
mine come running when they hear or feel the vibes from my voice i pet them and give them kisses well at least the two little ones. they love me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have 3 long term captive russians, the one I have the longest is now 12 years in my care. They come running over every time I step into their enclosure more than likely because they think they ae gonna get food. They don't hear sounds like we do, they mainly hear vibrations. Mine live outside so I don't handle them very often once or twice a week usually. Once they warm up they tend to enjoy people and the food of course.

5 Year Member
Aww thank you all for your great lovely replies :) I'm hoping that they'll start to recognise me and come when they see/feel me approach hehe :) fingers crossed!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I handle mine as little as possible (to clean an area, for example, and I do soak them when they are inside cuz the heat/light source seems drying). I have only had the two females since February. They do have to be inside in the winter in our area. However, they are very comfortable with me now, they do run over for food, of course, but when I have to make adjustments in their enclosures, they keep doing what they are doing, they don't mind.
They are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.