Help needed (not eating, hiding)

katrina Carr

Location (City and/or State)
Wiltshire uk
Hi I have 2 horsefield tortoises, about 10 years old, I have only had them since mayish this year but for the last week or so they have hid in there house and not come out, they haven't eaten or been in there water bowl, I have tried to take them out of there house and get them to eat but no luck they go back to bed, Al there temps are all good, they are happy ( when I'm not disturbing them lol) so dose this mean that they are hibernating? I have had them in side since I have had them, only putting them out in good weather, if they are hibernating what do I do with them? Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First you need to house them separately. Tortoises should never be in pairs, very stressful for them and one will get bullied, sick and possibly die.
Second, what are your actual temps? We need to know the numbers and what exactly you are using for lights and heat.
If you did not prepare them for hibernation,then you need to keep them up. Seeing they are being housed under stress, you should keep them up.
To keep them up, separate them ASAP, and make their area bright for 12-14 hours a day.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
As Barb mentioned, they should not be kept in pairs. Aside from that, they likely are slowing down for the winter, but here are some good things for you to read. its a LOT of information, but it is good to read it through and then ask questions:

and then: