3 Killer Whales die within 4 months at Sea World

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I just watched it and it doesn't surprise me. There is a documentary about dolphins in whales living in captivity called "The Cove" and I would highly recommend it. It does focus on a dolphins and the brutal killing of them in Japan, but the movie does also go into depth about why captivity does not work for these amazing creatures. The movie also won an Oscar. Dolphins and whales endure great stress in captivity and often have to be treated for things like ulcers. Suicide seems to be an issue because they have to work to take each breath, so they will chose to stop breathing. This may be why many are dying at SeaWorld.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
I'm not surprised by that at all. You just can't keep a huge animal like that couped up. It'd be like keeping a sulcata in one room its entire life. Think of how fast they move and what a small area they have available in comparison.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The problem with keeping orcas in captivity presents the same problem as keeping elephants in zoos. They get bored. They can't live normal lives. Enrichment is no substitute for natural behavior. What a DAMN shame!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
So sad and so frustrating :( Poor whales, it is true that they are sooo huge, they need a lot of space to be happy, they need the ocean.
Thanks for sharing Candy.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
tortoiseluvr said:
I just watched it and it doesn't surprise me. There is a documentary about dolphins in whales living in captivity called "The Cove" and I would highly recommend it. It does focus on a dolphins and the brutal killing of them in Japan, but the movie does also go into depth about why captivity does not work for these amazing creatures. The movie also won an Oscar. Dolphins and whales endure great stress in captivity and often have to be treated for things like ulcers. Suicide seems to be an issue because they have to work to take each breath, so they will chose to stop breathing. This may be why many are dying at SeaWorld.

I have heard of Suicide in Whales before but did not know if it is true or not. I do have The Cove recorded on my dvd player, but am actually afraid to watch it as I get very upset when I see animals being abused.

I told my 23 year old today that I totally regret ever taking them to Sea World when they were younger, but I also told him that I didn't even think about how they should be kept or even how they were being kept. Education, that's what people need to make their own decisions on whether or not they want entertainment this badly. This video helps to educate the public on just what they are paying for at the door. :(

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Candy said:
tortoiseluvr said:

I have heard of Suicide in Whales before but did not know if it is true or not. I do have The Cove recorded on my dvd player, but am actually afraid to watch it as I get very upset when I see animals being abused.

I told my 23 year old today that I totally regret ever taking them to Sea World when they were younger, but I also told him that I didn't even think about how they should be kept or even how they were being kept. Education, that's what people need to make their own decisions on whether or not they want entertainment this badly. This video helps to educate the public on just what they are paying for at the door. :(

The Cove focuses more on the stupidity, arrogance and brutality of human beings as opposed to the slaughter of the dolphins. It's actually quite refreshing to see the lengths that people will go to to 'uncover the truth' if you will, about the things that are happening behind closed doors, and expose the people who are lying to the Japanese populace about where their meat comes from and what's in it. There is obviously a brief scene of the dolphin slaughter but as the film makers had to break the law and risk their own welfare to obtain the footage it isn't too dolphin slaughter footage heavy. I recommend you watch it Candy, it's in all senses of the phrase, an eye opener.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
The cove is such a great film. I highly recommend it and it is educational.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
[/quote]
[/quote]

Then definitely don't watch it! I'm usually pretty strong about stuff like this though it does upset me. But I actually had to walk away because I started to feel sick, I was so disgusted with what was going on. It's extremely intense :( and sad

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I didn't sleep the whole night after watching. You know how I feel about this stuff Candy.
This should say "WHEN all the creatures are gone........

" If all the creatures were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of the spirit.

For whatever happens to the creatures soon happens to man "

Chief Seattle ~ 1854 ~

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Disgusting. I will never take my future children to Sea World, the circus, etc. I would never support those organizations.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I feel so bad now Terry I didn't mean for you to loose sleep. I love your quote and I agree with it.

Katie there are much better ways for your future children to learn about whales and dolphins. I know that you already know that though. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know you all mean well, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Do ANY of know even one single trainer or employee that works with these animals? I do. They dedicate their entire lives to meeting EVERY need of these great creatures. They have several different ENTIRE departments tending to every aspect of these whales lives. Entire DEPARTMENTS of people! They have a far better life than their wild counter parts with out all the stress, danger and strife of wild living. And don't forget they usually ended up where they are for reason.

You guys talk about what they NEED, and about their "happiness", but you really don't have any idea about either. You are talking about your easily manipulated emotions and feelings, not facts.

I'm not trying to start a fight here. And I respect and like each any every one of you. But I do want to expose you to the possibility that you are being misled by the highly biased media. These are the same folks that tell you all pitbulls are vicious face eating monsters. Anyone whose ever been around these dogs knows its not true. The picture that is painted for you by the media is very far from reality when it comes to cetaceans in captivity. When you have had the behind the scenes tours and know the trainers personally you will see a different picture. The guy who invented that "nose diving" trick and first trained it in 1984 is a personal friend of mine. Many of the people who run and staff Sea World in San Diego are former class mates of mine. They are not evil OR ignorant about the needs of these animals. Please understand that they know a lot more about what Orcas need than any of you OR me.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
terryo said:
" If all the creatures were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of the spirit.

For whatever happens to the creatures soon happens to man "

Chief Seattle ~ 1854 ~

Beautiful Terry :) Thanks for sharing with us!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well Tom it seems that your emotions are actually getting the best of you on this thread. Where did we mention the trainers or your friends and what does that have to do with the well being of these creatures? You are not an expert on Killer Whales so excuse me if I listen to the ones who are before I listen to you on this issue. Your friends might be what you call "experts" in the field of training them in captivity but I'm not talking about that and neither is this video. This video is talking about what's best for them, Sea World is talking about what's best for their own wallet. If your trying to say that they are happier where they are at Sea World well I'm just going to overlook that comment because that is just not true as many experts have already stated throughout many years of studying them. I'm not interested in arguing on this thread just in passing it on to others and letting them have the information to research it themselves. You're more then welcome to provide other resources.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I want to pass the information to people who have not thought about the way they're captured and what danger they are in once they are captured. I want to pass on information on how long they live in captivity compared to the wild. So here's some more information for people to look at that give you the statistics of what is happening or has happened to these whales. Now I've read most of these, but not all yet. I think you'll find it interesting reading.

http://www.orcahome.de/orcadead.htm

http://www.orcahome.de/lifeexpectancy.htm

http://www.orcahome.de/lolita.htm

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-25/...ath_1_killer-whales-trainer-seaworld?_s=PM:US

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-25/...ath_1_killer-whales-trainer-seaworld?_s=PM:US

www,orcanetwork.org/index.html

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/killer-whales-captivity-sea-world-t

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Look out, it's Candy on an emotional rampage again!

Maybe I'm the only one, but if I was a dolphin or an orca, I think I would prefer to live at Sea World knowing a meal was coming my way, than to be out in the wild having to fight and work hard for food.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Well, we have wild orcas around here that I've been able to get pretty close to at times. They have a pretty darned good life. As long as some guy in a boat doesn't hit one with his boat and prop or it doesn't get caught in a fishing net or something. Hunting for food is where the 'fun' is at. They thrive on it. Here, it is mostly salmon, which there is plenty of most of the year. They travel in pods based on family ties. Not sure they would really want to give up their pod and their hunting of salmon and sea lions...

Also note, orcas are top predators and enjoy the hunt and killing. They will toss live sea lions and seals around like toys for long periods of time before eating them (and sometimes they don't even bother eating them -they were just having fun). They are not cute little 'free willy' critters you just want to hug in real life...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
"They have a far better life than their wild counter parts without all the stress, danger and strife of wild living."

But isn't that part of being free, to make their own choices, to hunt for food, to be as nature intended, etc. Freedom is what everyone fights for in this world, whether it be human freedom, or animal freedom. Most living things would rather be dead then not be free.

I don't think Candy or anyone else is talking about the trainers or the care takers. Most are very devoted to the animals in their care.
I know everything you are saying is true about the care they are getting, and their devoted care takers Tom, but IMHO, CERTAIN animals shouldn't be in captivity no matter how wonderful the care is that they are given. (I said certain, so please people don't start with the tortoises that we keep) These guys should be out frolicking in the sea, not in a tub.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
chadk said:
Well, we have wild orcas around here that I've been able to get pretty close to at times. They have a pretty darned good life. As long as some guy in a boat doesn't hit one with his boat and prop or it doesn't get caught in a fishing net or something. Hunting for food is where the 'fun' is at. They thrive on it. Here, it is mostly salmon, which there is plenty of most of the year. They travel in pods based on family ties. Not sure they would really want to give up their pod and their hunting of salmon and sea lions...

Thanks for the info Chad :)
When they get caught in fishing net, do you know if they save it by cutting the net or something to let the orcas go?

Status
Not open for further replies.