Dine With Shamu, Orca kills trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Well, i have been looking forward to going to take Ava to 'dine with Shamu' on our holiday. Then this happens...

"The killer whale that drowned his female trainer yesterday will not be put down even though he has been involved in two other human deaths, according to staff at SeaWorld in Florida.

Tilikum, a huge bull orca which has spent 27 years in captivity, grabbed Dawn Brancheau as she was affectionately rubbing his head at the side of the whale pool at around 2pm. Watching tourists were eating their buffet lunches after the daily 'Dine with Shamu' whale show.

Two holidaymakers taking photos at the pool's underwater viewing area described how they saw Tilikum circling round and round below the surface with Ms Brancheau in his jaws, her face bloodied, and turning her over and over.

"It was terrible. It's very difficult to see the image," Joao Lucio da Costa Sobrinho, 28, told the local Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

An alarm sounded and SeaWorld staff led the tourists out of the viewing area, some of them screaming and with children crying.

Last night relatives of 40-year-old Ms Brancheau said that she would not have wanted Tilikum to be punished for what he had done. One of SeaWorld Orlando's most experienced trainers, she had worked at the park since 1994, and was married but childless.

"She loved the whales like her children, she loved all of them," said Diane Gross, Ms Brancheau's older sister. "They all had personalities, good days and bad days."

Marion Loverde, Ms Brancheau's mother, said that her daughter had wanted to work with whales ever since she visited SeaWorld at the age of nine.

"Everyone knew that was her dream," said Ms Loverde, of Indiana.

Chuck Tompkins, Ms Brancheau's supervisor, said that she had understood the risks of the job and of working with Tilikum, who was usually kept isolated and was rated as a potential risk to trainers because of the earlier deaths.

"We recognised that he was different... She loved what she did and she loved being with the animal," said Mr Tompkins.

He added that no decision had been made yet about what will happen to Tilikum, such as transferring him to another aquarium, but that the animal would not be put down.

We don't know what was going through the killer whale's head. It just got done doing a wonderful session with Dawn... his behaviour was great... that's the reason that she was rubbing his head," said Mr Tompkins.

Tilikum was captured off the coast of Iceland in 1983 and has had a controversial life. In 1991 he and two other orca were blamed for drowning one of their trainers, a woman part-timer, who lost her balance and fell into their pool while they were performing at Sealife of the Pacific, a park near Victoria in British Colombia that has since closed.

Sold to SeaWorld Orlando in 1992 as a stud animal, in 1999 Tilikum was involved in a second incident when a tourist either stayed behind in the park after hours or broke in and apparently attempted to swim with him.

The man's naked body, bruised and scratched from being dragged round the walls of the pool, was found draped over Tilikum's back the following morning. Despite his injuries doctors said he had probably drowned after suffering hypothermia in the chilly, 13C (55F) waters.

Because of Tilikum's size, at five tonnes the largest killer whale in captivity, and because of the previous deaths, only about a dozen of the park's 29 trainers were authorised to work with him.

The tragedy happened as Ms Brancheau had just finished describing the performance the audience was about to watch.

"He just took off like a bat out of you known what, took off really fast in the tank and he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing her around," Victoria Biniak told a local TV station. "He was thrashing her around pretty good. It was violent.

"The sirens were going off. People were running out."

Her husband Gary added: "He dragged her underneath the water and wouldn't let her come up. The force by which the woman was pulled into the water... her shoes were pulled off, it was terrible.

"Generally they don't allow any of the trainers to swim with this particular whale because he's so large and has a different temperament."

Eldon Skaggs, another audience member, said he heard that during an earlier show Tilikum was not responding to directions. Others who attended the earlier show said the whale was behaving like an "ornery child", contradicting Mr Tompkins.

Ms Brancheau is the second orca trainer to die in the last two months. On Christmas Eve Alexis Martinez Hernandez, 28, died after his ribcage was crushed when his whale landed on him as they rehearsed an unusual routine. The whale, a 14-year-old called Keto, had been transferred to the Loro Parque on Tenerife from SeaWorld.

There are thought to be 42 orca held in captivity in aquaria around the world. Animal rights groups have condemned the practice.

"For years, Peta has been calling on SeaWorld to stop confining oceangoing mammals to an area that to them is like the size of a bathtub," said a spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"We have also been asking the park to stop forcing the animals to perform silly tricks over and over again."

Dr Naomi Rose, a marine mammal scientist with the Humane Society of the United States, said: "Using these animals in entertainment is not good for animals or people. Sadly, we've seen evidence of that again today. Whales and dolphins are large, intelligent, long-lived, socially complex predators who often hunt cooperatively and are capable of swimming a hundred miles in a day. They are unsuited to permanent confinement, often exhibiting neurotic behaviours in these settings."

I guess this could easily be a debate topic. But perhaps a lesson will be learn't, you can't take a wild animal and make it tame....

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
A few years ago I saw a dolphin show and I was like WOW this is great!
Now I am older and no what goes on I see it as animal cruelty to make money but only on a small scale, I think horse raching is worst! Too right they should not put the whale down..well I think not anyway!

Are you still going even though this has happened? I would!

xx

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I have always been interested in Orca's since "free willy". We are certainly still going to go to sea world orlando, but i think we may miss the 'dine with shamu' (you pay more to have your lunch right in front of the orca's) . At the moment the Orca shows have all been 'posponed', i hope they will have resumed in the next couple of weeks.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Kymmie, you said it is animal cruelity, then you said "I would still go!". Did I read that right??

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i have personally seen these shows in the san diego sea world, and i think the whales are treated properly, and a lot of them come from the wild injuried, and they nurse them back to full health. the animal benefits, and the general public gets educated about them. i think both wins. just my opinion. i love animals just as much as most people here, but i think some should be in captivity for the benefit of the ones in the wild.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
It's a great hame the woman died, but she knew the risks involved in her job. A wild animal will always be wild and do what it likes. I hope the people can learn something from this tragic event.

At our local zoo they have sumatrian tigers, which have made lots of money for the sumatrian trust, to the benefit of all the other tigers still in the wild. Zoo's have tough licencing laws in most countries (wasen't the case in Beijing, massive animals, tiny enclosures) and i like going to the zoo :)

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
chadk said:
Kymmie, you said it is animal cruelity, then you said "I would still go!". Did I read that right??

Yes but it didnt mean that, i meant for alfie the tortoise to still go on her holidays even though this has happened!
xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live in a cave and really am not up-to-date on current events, but I've always assumed that the whales at Sea World and places like that were rehabilitated animals, not captured animals.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nope I'm afraid most of the Orcas not born in captivity were caught in the wild just to supply oceanaria. They do do a bit of rehabing dolphins, pilot whales and Manatees, but never heard of them doing that with Killer whales.
I don't mind seeing them in captivity, but to make them do tricks for peoples enjoyment, turns my stomach. I'd rather see and be awed by the animal, not by the tricks it was made to do.

Danny

chadk

10 Year Member!
If they are going to be in captivity (another topic), I think the 'tricks' are part of their daily routine so they have a 'job'. Just letting them freely swim with no purpose or job in those small areas would probably be very bad for them (like putting a working breed dog in a kennel all day). But then maybe that is just their justification for turning them into show animals... But I bet there is at least a little truth in it...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Very cool website detailing the 42 Killer Whales in captivity right now. It seem 13 of the 42 are WC, the rest are CB. http://www.orcahome.de/orcastat.htm

You can enrich an animals life in captivity without them having to do tricks. I totally understand the coming up and turning over type thing for taking temperatures, getting blood, doing ultasounds and such. That helps with the animals well being.

Danny

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
The 'tricks' are to keep them in condition. To make them get the excersise they need. Of course there are some that are for show and Aw only, and I think those are slowly being stopped. They try to teach them things to do on cue to show and educate the public what they would do in the wild. Most of the killer whales, these days inthe states, have been born in captivity, with only the older ones being taken from the wild many years ago. Like the one in this incident. He is an older male, taken at a young age and has now sired over a dozen babies. He is a large dominant male. He was not behaving earlier, the trainers no longer went in the water with him, he was either pissed off or bored and wanted to play or he was getting back at, the trainer. :-( we may never know. Due to his past and his behavior that day, the trainer probably should not have been on the platform with him. Very sad. Tragic and terrifying for her. I hope it was quick. When we choose to 'play' with exotics and work with them, it is a risk we assume. I know. Ive been there done that. As some of my pictures in the get to know me thread showed... The general public should never be allowed to get to close to them for PR photo shoots etc. The animals area at risk as much as the people. If something happens, the animal pays.
Our Tortises are all 'wild' animals as well. They are not domesticated. They just arent as dangerous as a 12,000 pound predator of the ocean. Besides in captivty, i dont think a killer whale has ever killed a human in the wild. They arent like sharks. I love seeing them so close up, its spirtual. I would love to see them in the wild tho. As for being in captivity.. I can be onthe fence.. They are so big and in such a small area, but what they do to help those in the wild and to bring the awareness to people who would otherwise have No clue, is priceless. Just like someone said earlier, the lions and tigers and other animals in zoos, have done more for the ones in the wild, then pictures can do. I know people in the Conservation World that do what the do because or a close up expereince as a child in school or a Zoo. Not all Zoos are bad places. Captivity can be much better then the wild in many cases. Free food, care, no predators etc. Animals dont need the huge expanses they have in the wild. They dont need to hunt, forage, its provided.
As for the trainer who was killed. May her friends and family find peace in knowing she died doing what she loved. As for the whale. He prob should be retired.. Not sure how or where.. I wish he could be released.. but not sure he would survive..

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I enjoy seeing the animals, but i think the 'tricks' are more to amaze children, and to bring in the revenue that it costs to keep the animals in the first place.

Most Orca's are caught in Norway or iceland, injured and brought back to health. From 1976-1997, 55 whales were taken from the wild in Iceland, 19 from Japan, and three from Argentina. Live captures fell dramatically in the 1990s, and by 1999, about 40% of the 48 animals on display in the world were captive born. A growing number of theme-park orcas have been born in captivity. Kalina, a female orca born in September 1985 at SeaWorld Orlando, was the first captive orca calf to survive more than few days. Kalina's mother is an Icelandic female named Katina, and her father, Winston (also known as Ramu III), was a Pacific Southern Resident, making Kalina an Atlantic/Pacific hybrid — a unique situation that would not have occurred in the wild.

Tillikum, the animal in question, was captured off Iceland in November 1983. He is the largest Orca in captivity and also the most successful sire in captivity, with 13 offspring, 10 of which are still alive.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Yes, it is shocking.

I liked your link but it was a little missleading. It compared date of birth with the date of capture. Which means they could have caught a 30 year old male, that lived another 15 years, which actually is a good age in the wild. It was seemingly infering that the Orca in question was young at capture, which was probably not the case. And 50 is a good age for a female, 40 for a male. Though females have been recorded at 80 years old :)

Also, did you know that infant morality in Orca whales is very high. Around 45% do not survive in the while beyond the age of two. So, you could almost expect the same to happen in captivity (ok, not the same, maybe you would expect better odds). Problems occur in labour, during labour, with feeding the young (for two years). So there are no predators in the aquarium. But this doesn't eliminate pregnancy and birth related problems.....

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Out of 153 orcas listed on that first site, of whales deceased in captivity, over 30 of those were miscarried, or still born calves. I don't even know how that statistic was published with over 20% of their dead whales being babies that lived no longer than three days.

I don't support the harvesting of any whale. Like Roachman, and others have said, most of the whales taken into captivity now are injured animals that are nursed back to health.

The whales live as comfortably as we can make them. I'm sure research on enrichment and proper environment hasn't ceased.

They aren't trained in a physically painful way--positive reinforcement is the only tool.

I don't see people crying over elephants in circuses. They are beaten nearly since birth and forced to preform unnatural feats.

The tricks a whale preforms in a show are all naturally exhibited behaviors that have been associated with a cue, so they can do them on command. I don't see anything wrong with that--its enriching for the animal, exercise, and educates the public.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am always amazed at some people who say they are shocked that this happened, not pointing fingers at anyone, and I always say to them "Hello wild animals they are not tame and they do kill"

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
egyptiandan said:
You can enrich an animals life in captivity without them having to do tricks.

I completely agree. I am against the use of animals for entertainment (in most situations) but that's just me :p

Meg90 said:
I don't see people crying over elephants in circuses. They are beaten nearly since birth and forced to preform unnatural feats.

Funny you mentioned that, because I was just about to bring it up! ;) I will never take my future children to the circus.

And don't even get me started on bull-fighting!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
alfiethetortoise said:
Yes, it is shocking.

I liked your link but it was a little missleading. It compared date of birth with the date of capture. Which means they could have caught a 30 year old male, that lived another 15 years, which actually is a good age in the wild. It was seemingly infering that the Orca in question was young at capture, which was probably not the case. And 50 is a good age for a female, 40 for a male. Though females have been recorded at 80 years old :)

Also, did you know that infant morality in Orca whales is very high. Around 45% do not survive in the while beyond the age of two. So, you could almost expect the same to happen in captivity (ok, not the same, maybe you would expect better odds). Problems occur in labour, during labour, with feeding the young (for two years). So there are no predators in the aquarium. But this doesn't eliminate pregnancy and birth related problems.....

This whale was brought back from New Zealand and captured as a baby there was no mistaking that. I listening to an expert of Killer Whales today and she didn't say what you're posting. In fact she said the complete opposite. Please if you can post your information like Danny did so I can read where these facts are coming from. And as for them not making it in the wild so what? Are they better off here doing tricks for my kids and being kept in containers that are too small for them? We are not God and we should not decide that it's better for them to be caught then to live or die in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.