Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
bej6kx.jpg

You've seen this picture before. I've posted it several times in different threads. Now, over the past couple of weeks, the history of the tortoise...and his owner...are revealed. This is Bill, a 46-year-old, 96 kg (over 210 pounds) sulcata. The owner is Tomas Diagne...he runs the African Chelonian Institute and the Tortoise Village in Senegal. He will be the keynote speaker at the TTPG banquet this week. He received the Rolex Award for Enterprise. Here's the link...be sure to click on the gallery photos under Mr. Diagne's photo...not the GALLERY icon in the header.

http://rolexawards.com/en/the-laureates/tomasdiagne-tortoisesacrossafrica.jsp

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
210 lb. sulcata, WOW! Biggest so far :D. I notice that their shell's are extremely smooth in the pic. But Im sure they would be in their homeland. Can't get anymore natural then that.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
One of the things I plan to find out from him...whether there is a difference in the two ssp of sulcata...I've seen some that have smooth armor on theire front legs...though most have a more jagged armor...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I also wish I could attend. Wow, I love that pic!!

bfmorris

5 Year Member
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
210 lb. sulcata, WOW! Biggest so far :D. I notice that their shell's are extremely smooth in the pic. But Im sure they would be in their homeland. Can't get anymore natural then that.

For some reason, G. sulcata from the Sudan get much larger, even. I hadn't realised how large mine actually were until about 6 years ago when I took a male to the vet for an injury. He weighed in at 246 pounds and he was not one of my largest males! I'll start a thread and post up some photos.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
bfmorris said:
He weighed in at 246 pounds and he was not one of my largest males! I'll start a thread and post up some photos.

Wow! Looking forward to that!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DeanS said:
bfmorris said:
He weighed in at 246 pounds and he was not one of my largest males! I'll start a thread and post up some photos.

Wow! Looking forward to that!

WOW, I also am looking forward to those pictures. Please hurry! :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
DeanS said:
One of the things I plan to find out from him...whether there is a difference in the two ssp of sulcata...I've seen some that have smooth armor on theire front legs...though most have a more jagged armor...

Wow...I didn't know there were two ssp of Sulcatas. But yeah, I did notice the "smooth" armor on the forelimbs of those animals in the photo. Thought that was unusual...now I know why!

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
bfmorris said:
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:

For some reason, G. sulcata from the Sudan get much larger, even. I hadn't realised how large mine actually were until about 6 years ago when I took a male to the vet for an injury. He weighed in at 246 pounds and he was not one of my largest males! I'll start a thread and post up some photos.

246 lbs. holy crap batman!! Yes you got to start a thread on this. I agree with Dean. Please do so :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Right now Aladar is 22" and about 55 lbs. I would love to see what he would look like when (and if) he grows that large.

Hey another thing...I just realized that this article is about 13 years old...that means Bill weighed 210 lbs in 1998...HMMMMMMM!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It's more an individual chart than anything else! I've seen sulcatas that are 3" at 2 years and those that are 10" at a year-and-a-half. Aladar is 9-years-old. Bill was 46 in the top picture. If Mr Diagne has a chart when I see him or if he has one that he can make available online...I'll surely ask. But, I don't think there would be a generic chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.