good times for bad, storing the backyard edibles for winter use

Prairie Mom

This is a great topic and one that I am very interested in. I plan to keep my eye on everyone's comments in this thread particularly as I have long harsh winters and an ever-growing sulcata.

I just wanted to mention a couple other threads just in case you and others may be interested. @Turtulas-Len recently detailed his winter diet in this thread and gave detailed instructions on how he stores his dried weed/lawn clippings over the long months. I've already begun drying a stash for winter as he recommended.-So far so good.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-young-sulcatas-winter-diet-worked.115259/

Also, a new member recently posted that they were freezing and thawing grass. They claimed that grass retained its original texture and didn't turn to mush when thawed. I'm eager to test this out and will do so in a few weeks. If it works, I'll happily fill a spare freezer in the garage full of Ziploc bags. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/winter-sulcata-feeding.124862/#post-1156045

I can't comment on Cactus pads, but you mentioned preserving foods that come in an abundance. This year I've been planning ahead even earlier for winter. During the spring, I began digging up and potting young weeds and flowers my tortoise likes. The potted weeds have been growing on my patio all season. Once bad weather comes, I plan to put them under grow lights and keep them going as long as possible. I've found that some of my potted weeds and flowers have already gone to seed and are happily reproducing in the pots. Also, I save seeds from squash and pumpkins (even store-bought pumpkins will often grow fruitless plants). One pumpkin that we bought from Walmart for a Jack-o-lantern last year provided dozens of young plants for my tortoise to eat over the winter.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I understand the debate on store bought greens like romaine and escarole, and the pros and cons associated with them. I also had the best breeding success ever with pancakes at the Philly zoo when romaine and mulberry were the base diet items. Sulcatas can eat up a case of romaine pretty quick, I understand wanting to not have to buy their greens, but I also want to have at least a plan A, B, and C. as anyone of them can go dry, and then I'm stuck.

I use the dried things with store bought escarole and romaine. Drying allows me some margin or loss of resource. Even here in sunny SoCal the mulberry drops it's leaves in the winter, as do grape vines (they are pretty similar). The cactus seems to go dormant and the tough season old pads are not as palatable as the younger smaller ones. If I obsess too much more on this I might start resources feed analysis again and see what happens with storage.

Freezing makes water crystallize and expand, breaking cell membranes and walls. I will look at these threads you mention, but am pressed to understand the greens not mushing from the freezing and thawing process. I'll try some cactus pad, see what happens. Organic grasses and hays of all sorts are so readily available I'm not so worried about them. The dandelion and plantain leaves seem like a better use of resources to develop a storage method for them.

All these things' flowers dry well and seem to keep their attractiveness for eating even when dried, honeysuckle, hibiscus, rose, dandelion, etc.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Where I'm at we sometimes get pretty harsh winter weather, but if you go by the average daily high and low temps it isn't that bad, almost like Philly's weather. I make sure to begin storing the cactus pads before the plants start going dormant and loosing moisture (usually early Oct). After separating the pad from the main plant it will retain what moisture it has for months if stored in a cool area that is not to dry. I sometimes place newspaper between the pads, or place in the shade outside on the ground, they have rooted this way (which is not always a good thing) I have also put cactus fruit and sliced pads in jars of water and placed in the refrigerator with good results. The types of opuntia I grow are cold and wet hardy very different than what you probably have. Since I started drying my lawn I don't depend on the cactus for winter feeding as much as I used to. My yard has more weeds than the average lawn :tort::)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I understand the debate on store bought greens like romaine and escarole, and the pros and cons associated with them. I also had the best breeding success ever with pancakes at the Philly zoo when romaine and mulberry were the base diet items. Sulcatas can eat up a case of romaine pretty quick, I understand wanting to not have to buy their greens, but I also want to have at least a plan A, B, and C. as anyone of them can go dry, and then I'm stuck.

I use the dried things with store bought escarole and romaine. Drying allows me some margin or loss of resource. Even here in sunny SoCal the mulberry drops it's leaves in the winter, as do grape vines (they are pretty similar). The cactus seems to go dormant and the tough season old pads are not as palatable as the younger smaller ones. If I obsess too much more on this I might start resources feed analysis again and see what happens with storage.

Freezing makes water crystallize and expand, breaking cell membranes and walls. I will look at these threads you mention, but am pressed to understand the greens not mushing from the freezing and thawing process. I'll try some cactus pad, see what happens. Organic grasses and hays of all sorts are so readily available I'm not so worried about them. The dandelion and plantain leaves seem like a better use of resources to develop a storage method for them.

All these things' flowers dry well and seem to keep their attractiveness for eating even when dried, honeysuckle, hibiscus, rose, dandelion, etc.
So once we have dried weeds,flowers and cactus. What are you suggesting is the best way to feed. Dry or hydration. I know my redfoots won't eat dry dandilions. We tried them with some shop bought. Just thinking out aloud here. Assuming I end up with a pile of dried weeds and cactus all mixed in. What can I add that will help with increasing the volume back up when hydrated. Whats the best edible plant to absorb water. I know when we hydrate pellets for fishing they expand they treble in size. So what's in them that absorbs the water/flavourings.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So once we have dried weeds,flowers and cactus. What are you suggesting is the best way to feed. Dry or hydration. I know my redfoots won't eat dry dandilions. We tried them with some shop bought. Just thinking out aloud here. Assuming I end up with a pile of dried weeds and cactus all mixed in. What can I add that will help with increasing the volume back up when hydrated. Whats the best edible plant to absorb water. I know when we hydrate pellets for fishing they expand they treble in size. So what's in them that absorbs the water/flavourings.
Forgot to add, I've gone off the pelleting idea. Needs to be a method that's simple and in expensive that every household can use.

Each keeper could have a dried mix to suit their specific species. Herbivores is probably easier. Then again omnivores seem to eat more fruit, so could pectin be used to jellyfy the mix. Again I'm only thinking out aloud to trigger other thoughts.
I have 3 seperate types of weeds drying out to see what water loss is.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/grocery-store-greens-good.81609/

like that, use romaine, escarole etc as the base, add the other items that are dry, they stick to the moist green greens and all is consumed. I add the dry greens to the green greens. I mentioned this in this thread, yeah?

post 23 "I use the dried things with store bought escarole and romaine."

I don't know any more explicit way to say what I do, I am suggesting to use the dried greens with green greens. For me dried greens are the grasses and leafy plants we dry now for later use. I escalated that to include cactus, the point of the thread for me. I agree that thinking out loud is a good way to explore and invent. If not for @wellington initial response the thread might have died, so thanks Barbara!

I sorted out some cactus drying methods that are right now working. I'm trying the freezing, but have doubts, but I will see.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
I dried the opuntia into four sizes/shapes, chips, planks, angel hair, and shoestring. Will be sending the samples out today @wellington @Prairie Mom . I have started drying another batch yesterday, but our humidity has gone up, so it has slowed down the process. If anyone would like to try a small sample, I'll send it to you, the only cost being your feedback.

PM me your mail address and I'll share mine as well.

Prairie Mom

I dried the opuntia into four sizes/shapes, chips, planks, angel hair, and shoestring. Will be sending the samples out today @wellington @Prairie Mom . I have started drying another batch yesterday, but our humidity has gone up, so it has slowed down the process. If anyone would like to try a small sample, I'll send it to you, the only cost being your feedback.

PM me your mail address and I'll share mine as well.
Thank you! I'm excited to try it out.