Cheap easy recipe to add too winter grocery green diet

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nuts.com has a Mulberry Leap Powder 8.99 lb. and a Alfalfa Grass Powder 5.99 4oz. Both ingredients is only the mulberry leaf or the alfalfa grass, nothing else listed.
Get some Agar Agar and a quick few minutes of boiling, mixing and cooling and you have a great food item for your tortoises diet to improve those grocery greens.
I have not fed the cooked yet, just made it, its cooling. However, I have sprinkled some of the mulberry powder over greens. I don't watch them eat to know if they love it, but the greens were eaten.
The recipe I did was:
3 tsp agar per cup of water per bag directions
3 TBLSP of the Alfalfa
5 TBLSP Mulberry leaf.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
That price is astronomical for alfalfa grass powder FWIW. If you see anyone selling white mulberry leaves whole or dried I'd love to know

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nuts.com has a Mulberry Leap Powder 8.99 lb. and a Alfalfa Grass Powder 5.99 4oz. Both ingredients is only the mulberry leaf or the alfalfa grass, nothing else listed.
Get some Agar Agar and a quick few minutes of boiling, mixing and cooling and you have a great food item for your tortoises diet to improve those grocery greens.
I have not fed the cooked yet, just made it, its cooling. However, I have sprinkled some of the mulberry powder over greens. I don't watch them eat to know if they love it, but the greens were eaten.
The recipe I did was:
3 tsp agar per cup of water per bag directions
3 TBLSP of the Alfalfa
5 TBLSP Mulberry leaf.
"Alfalfa grass powder"? Alfalfa is a legume. Not a grass. Is this alfalfa and some type of grass mixed together and ground into a powder? Sometimes I have heard alfalfa referred to as alfalfa hay in its dried and bailed form, but I've never heard it called "alfalfa grass". Is this something new (to me) that I don't know about?

Alfalfa horse pellets are about $20 for a 50 pound bag. When soaked in water the pellets break down into a mush. I wonder if that could be used in your mixture, or does it need to be a powder? Do you see an advantage to the gel mixture vs. just mixing in mushed up pellets into the greens?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
"Alfalfa grass powder"? Alfalfa is a legume. Not a grass. Is this alfalfa and some type of grass mixed together and ground into a powder? Sometimes I have heard alfalfa referred to as alfalfa hay in its dried and bailed form, but I've never heard it called "alfalfa grass". Is this something new (to me) that I don't know about?

Alfalfa horse pellets are about $20 for a 50 pound bag. When soaked in water the pellets break down into a mush. I wonder if that could be used in your mixture, or does it need to be a powder? Do you see an advantage to the gel mixture vs. just mixing in mushed up pellets into the greens?
The only ingredient listed is alfalfa grass powder. I only bought it because it was there and to add to the mulberry powder I bought just to change things up some. I bought one bag. I only feed alfalfa sparingly and usually hay form. I use the powder to sprinkle on greens or with the agar to make it like a gel. I also use pellets both Timothy and Orchard. I do the powder/into gel just for variety and to make the powder more of a food form. They always loved the Repashy which makes into a gel form so that's why I wanted to do the same with the mulberry and alfalfa powder.
Not sure why they call it alfalfa grass. Maybe they cut it in early growth stages where its possibly more grass like then hay?