Drying plants for tortoise?

Delilah1623

I couldn't find any info on this, has anyone dried things for their tortoise to eat during the winter? I have a grape vine, mulberry tree and other things that are supposed to eat but being in WI the variety during the winter will be limited. I am hoping to dry some things and then soak them to feed throughout the winter. Any thoughts?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
I searched for "how to dehydrate plants." Found these:
http://bonnieplants.com/library/how-to-dry-your-harvest/

http://www.pickyourown.org/DHbasilmint.htm
I did a lot of testing with different plants to see how well they did. Got some good results with plantains and mallow, but my torts weren't too crazy about it. So, I'm saving a bunch of seeds and I'm setting up a grow station indoors. Last winter I was really successful with mallow, chia, alfalfa, and dandelions. This winter I'm planting more, but I'm also saving my potted plants (pansies, coleus, ice plants, and petunias).

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Delilah1623

I did buy one of those strawberry pots with a bunch of holes and some seeds so I am going to grow him stuff there under a plant light. Maybe I'll just throw a batch or two of different stuff in the dehydrator and see what happens.

I am not sure why I am so worried, the darn tortoise isn't even eating. Ugh.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I am not sure why I am so worried, the darn tortoise isn't even eating. Ugh.
That's not good. How long have you had him/her? What's the species?

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I dry plants and have for a few years. This year I am doing it on a larger scale. What I have been doing is using open cardboard boxes, paper bags and I believe they are laundry baskets, (they are made out of nylon netting) to dry stuff in. I was putting them in the air conditioned garage and stirring things up every couple days to keep the center and or bottom from getting moldy, it worked great when it was hot out and the air conditioner ran a lot. Now I am bagging it up and leaving it outside in the sun and mixing it more frequently, and laying it out on the driveway and turning it a couple times a day. When I am sure everything is dry I store it in those very large paper bags that are used for yard debris pickup. The main ingredient in my mix is (my lawn) grass and good weeds. If you have a leaf blower with a vac system run the dry plants through it a couple times to mulch it up, and mix it up.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I use a food dehydrator for weeds, flowers, etc. I don't re-hydrate though, I just crush the dried stuff over the fresh greens to add variety.

Delilah1623

He is a russian tortoise. I got him about a week and a half ago. I posted in the new owner need help forum with all the details if you have any suggestions! He did eat the little piece of strawberry and melon I put in there since that's what the pet store was feeding him. I chopped some more up and mixed it with greens to see if he will try that but so far nothing.

Delilah1623

I love the idea of drying and then just crushing it. Thanks for the idea! I am going to try that.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I don't have a Russian, but from what I read , fruit is the wrong way to go. If you have to go with grocery store greens try some collards, mustard, and turnip greens. The various Testudos I've been around all go for that.

Delilah1623

I've had greens in tgere for over a week and some one suggested he might not realize it's food because he was used to eating the fruit and pellets. I mixed some fruit with the greens to see if he would eat and I could "retrain" him on what his real food is supposed to be.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I've had greens in tgere for over a week and some one suggested he might not realize it's food because he was used to eating the fruit and pellets. I mixed some fruit with the greens to see if he would eat and I could "retrain" him on what his real food is supposed to be.
That's an approach I have had success with. If not working or not he's not at all interested in eating, there may be something else (temps?) that is off, or possibly he's still adjusting. There is a lot of good info in the Russian section on set up, environment and health.
Good luck