Zoomed T5 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I need to buy a new UVB tube and i'm interested in the Zoomed T5's. Anyone had any luck with them? The terrarium in question is 4' X 4' X 2'. With the subsrtate depth and the light mount, it would end up being approx 18" from the substrate surface.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't know that one, but I'll bump you back up to the top.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Zoomed Reptisun T5 tube UVB should be just fine. Get the longest tube that you can and a minimum of 5.0

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Will said:
Not sure what you mean by "luck"?

The tubes work well and are, for tubes, the most bang for the buck. Use light dispersing reflectors to get more value and a broader illumination.

Will

I guess luck was the wrong word. After thinking about it I might just go with a regular ol T8 since it looks like the ballast are more available from local sources like HD and lowes. I'll do a bit more research and make a choice soon.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's the main limitation for the T5 bulbs. They are great bulbs, but you have to get the fixture from a reptile supply from my experience so far.
While the T 8 bulb fixtures can be purchased in hardware stores.
Still, you buy bulbs a lot more often than fixtures ( bulbs tend to be the main cost outlay).

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
18" is pushing it for T8s. T5HO lamps put off more UVB and can be mounted higher.

What size fixture are you looking for?

fieldy

5 Year Member
I'm currently using Zoomed Reptisun T5 10.0 for my tortoise and it's working out great.

The one problem is as lynnedit said, fixtures might be more difficult to come by. I got a Sunblaster T5 plant light fixture from Amazon, and just switched out the bulb. It's a little more pricey but it's a one time cost so I was ok with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.