Help needed on all things lighting

Norm2020

Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge UK
Im going round in circles looking at how different light is done and was wondering if anyone could advise on the following.

Heats provided by ceramic heater on a stat so this is totally separate. Questions i have are

1 UVB/UVA T5 Tube, would this be positioned at a height that gave 3/4 on the solar index? (for Hermanns)

2 Does UVB light need to run the length of the enclosure or does there need to be an area for tort to get away from it

3 Do i need to provide additional day light? if so could this be from a normal led house lamp or does it need to be more then this? i have seen the T5 starter has a duel lamp one so would a normal household bulb be ok?

Many thanks

Zoeclare

Uk
Hi your profile says Cambridge is that UK? If you add the country or state it will help with responses as where you are can affect what heating/uv you need. Welcome to the forum.

Agathaade

Los Angeles
I have a hermann and this is what I have.

- basking light : 1 incandescent flood bulb - 65W
This provides a warm weak light and more importantly, heat. On 12hrs a day, positionned about 18in from substrate

- UVB light : 1 TO 5 UVB tube. Gives off very bright cool white light. On 3hrs a day (10am-1pm), positionned about 24in from substrate, reads 2.3 UVi. My tortoise has areas where she can get away from it, and she does go hide under plants.

- for general brightness : 1 LED bulb. It gives off a cool daytime light. This one is on 12hrs a day like the basking light. To boost my plants I sometimes replace it with a white LED grow bulb (no pink grow bulb).

karen1234

hertfordshire
my tort has a basking light on from morning until i go to bed and i then make sure his heat mat is on i use a basking bulb i find its good if you have a table ,,

jason2012

5 Year Member
Great thanks for the replys helps a lot to know what others do esp with same types of torts.

I am in the UK I'll update my profile in morn. Safe to say more day light maybe required over here

Norm2020

Cambridge UK
If i have a UVB at 12% and have this on for part of the day say 4hrs can i then i just use a standard tube light for just general daylight? or does it need to be a reptile tube?

Zoeclare

Uk
If i have a UVB at 12% and have this on for part of the day say 4hrs can i then i just use a standard tube light for just general daylight? or does it need to be a reptile tube?
I just use a full spectrum led strip, its meant for an aquarium but it does the job. Make sure you get the full spectrum as it gives off a much nicer light, some can be a bit yellowy. Plants like them too.

Norm2020

Cambridge UK
I just use a full spectrum led strip, its meant for an aquarium but it does the job. Make sure you get the full spectrum as it gives off a much nicer light, some can be a bit yellowy. Plants like them too.
I found some that say full spectrum grow lights for plants i assume would this be what i want?

Zoeclare

Uk
I found some that say full spectrum grow lights for plants i assume would this be what i want?
Yes that would work. They don't need to be the super expensive ones though, mine were about 20 quid I think on amazon.