Zoo Med Grassland Mix

Honuboy

Location (City and/or State)
So-Cal
What is your guys opinion on this supplemental food?

ZM-130_Grassland_Tortoise_Food.jpg

I bought some of this for my gopherus. Just wondering if you have any feeding tips or opinions on how to use it.

IMG_7151.JPGCoco the gopherus ^^^^^^

Rue

Canada
I think it is a good idea to have a supplemental food handy. Especially if you ever need to have someone tortoise sit, etc. So I would use it.

I am trying to get my baby Hermann' s to eat it too.

She doesn't seem to like it though!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I was going to buy one of those but they ran out & Petco was selling Mazuri LS . I heard many tortoises dont like it but mine are happy with them.
With supplements, many soak them in warm water for a little before they feed their torts. I do this too. Im not sure about the Grassland diet, but if i soak the Mazuri for too long, the shape falls apart. Though the T-rex dry food formula i had before did not have this problem.
I add Mazuri on top of their greens every couple of days. The leftover "crumbs" get sprayed and mixed in with their greens next time i feed them. None goes to waste!
Unless it drops on the substrate & gets trampled :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have not yet seen a tortoise that will eat the ZooMed stuff plain. It is good as an additive to other foods. Start with a very small amount. I use one pellet, soak it, and then thoroughly mix up the mush with the day's greens. This is a good way to make grocery store greens better.

If you just put it on a plate, most tortoises are going to ignore it.

Honuboy

So-Cal
I have not yet seen a tortoise that will eat the ZooMed stuff plain. It is good as an additive to other foods. Start with a very small amount. I use one pellet, soak it, and then thoroughly mix up the mush with the day's greens. This is a good way to make grocery store greens better.

@Tom how often do you give them one pellet?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I love the idea of using commercial food as supplement. I like to try out different brands. My torts are babies, I soak the pellets and mash the up, mix with the fresh food that I serve on that day. There's one brand of pellets that's in a form of tiny sprinkles which I do not soak. One of my torts goes crazy over those. My torts are omnivorous which is whole different ball game. I have lots of opportunities to keep variety in their diet. As far as amt/requency, I use commercial food as 5-6 days per week in 1:3-1:5 proportions of commercial to fresh.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
FYI there are other commercial dry food formulas for herbivorous torts. Im'm just not familiar with them all, I keep RF's, they can eat much wider variety

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom how often do you give them one pellet?

This depends on the species, the age, and what I am feeding them. With grocery store greens, it would be good to add some of the zoo med food every day. If you are feeding a lot of weeds and leaves, then you probably only need it once or twice a week as a supplement. There is no harm in feeding it more often.

Also, I start with one pellet to get them used to it, but over time you can add more than that as appropriate for the size of the tortoise you are feeding.

surfergirl

My hermann eats it, two of my Russians eat it, never had to try to coerce them to eat it. my smallest Russian refuses anything but weeds and spring mix, my sully is not real excited about the grassland pellets wet or dry but he will eventually give in if nothing else is available. my marginated dabbles with it but not near as excited about it as regular mazuri. funny thing is that all my torts prefer greens/grass over supplemental foods. I think it is awesome to see a tort walk right by the manufactured foods to eat some greens/grass! I offer three supplemental foods every so often- repashy, grassland and regular mazuri. I have three torts that like the mazuri LS too and have not had any complications with eating it. they have been eating it every 2 weeks or so for 3 months. I think it is great to add these things to make up a more varied diet which I think is key to meeting their needs. I think the tort will often tell us what is best, my sully will go for fresh grass over anything else - every time!

surfergirl

Defintely not in the ATL. Lol!
san onofre beach comes to mind. We trip to surf, southeast coast mostly always praying for a NE'terto kick up a ground swell with offshore winds. :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

I tend to agree with Tom's POV here. I would also say once a part of the diet, you can slowly work them into eating a large % of it in a single offering but still mixed in with other foods. I moisten it with water, or Aloe Vera Juice.

The downside is it is among the more expensive "prepared tortoise diets" .