• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Interesting to see the results and comments. Sorry I couldn't vote, I only used Mazuri once this year.:p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Jacqui said:
Interesting to see the results and comments. Sorry I couldn't vote, I only used Mazuri once this year.:p

I couldn't vote either!
Cool poll nonetheless.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ChiKat said:
Jacqui said:

I couldn't vote either!
Cool poll nonetheless.

When you say you can't vote...is it simply because you grow everything yourselves?;) If so, that's VERY cool and I should've made that an option.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
DeanS said:
ChiKat said:
Jacqui said:

I couldn't vote either!
Cool poll nonetheless.

When you say you can't vote...is it simply because you grow everything yourselves?;) If so, that's VERY cool and I should've made that an option.

No, I wish! Maybe some day.
I don't feed Mazuri or Zoo Med though.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I do not feed commercial diets. It's all weeds, greens, leaves, flowers, cactus, and squash over here.

I should add that I see nothing wrong with adding Mazuri/Zoo Med as part of a balanced diet!

franeich

5 Year Member
Lately I have been feeding mazuri only and my sulcata seems to be doing well. I throw in some spring mix every couple weeks to keep a taste for it. He grazes about once a week. He seems healthier then ever and growing fast on the mazuri.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
DeanS said:
ChiKat said:
Jacqui said:

I couldn't vote either!
Cool poll nonetheless.

I grow and buy. I keep Mazuri around as an emergency food source.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We also grow alot of greens but we have to also buy the types of greens that we choose not to grow..

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Can you post a photo of the adults that produced these?

ALDABRAMAN said:
2iu9t1i.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry OT, Hey EJ welcome back long time no post.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I imported one out of a couple hundred that looked like those. Does that pair produce both black and brown babies?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
-EJ said:
I imported one out of a couple hundred that looked like those. Does that pair produce both black and brown babies?

Ed, All of our hatchling aldabra tortoise start brownish and turn blackish within the first two weeks. These are all from our last clutch, the same clutch, for this year. Notice the first to hatch out are blackish already, some changing, and some are still brown. They will all be black within the next week or so. Picture just taken. R/05-05-2011.

5eg3h1.jpg

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
No. Even from your photos... they do not... very confident in saying these... do not... hatch out brown. That is unusual.

The animal I imported was over 4 inches SCL... and... brown.

Sorry... you have way more experience than me... hell... your breeding the animals. Mine is an observation and opinion.

ALDABRAMAN said:
Ed, All hatchling aldabra tortoise start brownish and turn blackish within the first two weeks. These are all from our last clutch, the same clutch, for this year. Notice the first to hatch out are blackish already, some changing, and some are still brown. They will all be black within the next week or so. Picture just taken. R/05-05-2011.

5eg3h1.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Actually Greg...I believe Ed's right...to a point! Wild (OOPS! I mean F1) Aldabras don't hatch out brown. The animals at the LA Zoo were wild caught...and all their eggs hatched out dark gray/black...but I would imagine your larger tortoises are imports as well...no?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
OK, I have never had one hatch out black. Great information and interesting.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Interesting.... thanks.

In the very post you presented... you had a group of black Aldabras hatchlings and the brown ones that caught my attention.

ALDABRAMAN said:
OK, I have never had one hatch out black. Great information and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.