your opinion please

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjessi09

5 Year Member
Hi I am thinking about buying this sulcata tortoise , please let me know if you think he looks healthy . This is the first one I've seen without pyramiding , I just want a healthy pet. They are willing to take a $200 rehoming fee is this reasonable also any ideas on to how old he could be ? Thanks

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 157
  • tort1.jpg
    tort1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 157

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Hi,

I think the tortoise is healthy. The eyes looks good etc..
But why is the head so "pink"?
If it is a female she won't go bigger. If it is a male he isn't full adult.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Doesn't look too bad too me. However, the full body pic, the right side of the tort looks a little funny, like its indented? May be nothing, but also may be something to look at closely and ask about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a good price for a tortoise in that condition and that size. Hard to tell from looking at a picture, but tortoise looks pretty good from the picture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way to know the age. I'd guess between 5 and 25 years old. When they can live 100 years and possible much more, I don't think it should be much of a concern anyway.

No way to assess health from a couple of pics. I would be more interested in prior care and upbringing conditions as potential clues toward health. Diet, temps, hydration, housing, etc...

Pyramiding or not is not an indicator of health in itself. A tortoise could be well hydrated, well fed, sunned and exercised well, yet still pyramid if it were kept in dry conditions during its early growth.

I would assess the tortoises activity level and behavior in person. Good appetite is one good indicator of health too. The tortoise looks decent from the pics and the price seems reasonable.

You didn't ask, but do you need any tips on housing or feeding adult sulcatas? Are you prepared for the digging and plant decimation? :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Looks externally decent from the pics provided. I would prefer a dorsal shot, one directly from the side, and a full ventral shot as well. The price is good for an animal in that condition that you intend to be a pet. If you choose to buy it, enjoy it. They are neat creatures.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I agree with Boah. Looks good from the pictures you provided. Where is this sulcata located? What state? The price is very reasonable.

justjessi09

5 Year Member
Hi thank you for all of your replies ! I went and got him today and couldn't be happier . I attached some pics if took of him today after I cleaned him up , he seems to be in great health and very friendly , they said he is atleast 30 years old, he has a spot in the middle of his shell and it has a little very shallow hole he was trying to escape their yard , you can see the rub marks on the middle of his shell , anyways just wondering if I should do anything for him to that spot it seems likes its healing fine and doesn't bother him. Thanks everyone for your help I'm trying to read as much as I can and not ask stupid questions :)

Attachments

• walter.jpg
    walter.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • walter2.jpg
    walter2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • walter3.jpg
    walter3.jpg
    966.2 KB · Views: 47
  • walter4.jpg
    walter4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • walter5.jpg
    walter5.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 43
  • walter6.jpg
    walter6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • walter7.jpg
    walter7.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 45

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Grandma here :) To me the spot looks superficial and I think I would just leave it alone and it will heal over as long as he's not irritating it more on anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That spot is probably from an old (emphasis on the 'old') heat related injury. You see that a lot when the heat/light has been allowed to hang down too close to the top of the tortoise, and it burns the carapace. It will never look normal, but it doesn't hurt or cause any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.