Young Cherry-heads update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Here are a few of the 4 new guys (thanks again, AllegraF) enjoying brunch.
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/27915195@N03/4783872654/ if it does not show up).

Since last time I added a soil warming panel that mostly just boosts humidity by warming the soil moisture and letting it percolate out, switched to a bigger water dish (and there is usually one or two of them in there, enjoying the spa), and changed the topography so there is more of a slope to climb- but not steep enough to flip anyone.

I still have not named them, although I have some possibilities.

1. Types of cherries: Black Tartarian, Chelan, Tieton, Lapins, Skeena, Corum.

2. Another option is place names from the region, such as Dende, Marau, Itacare, Mucuri, Iraquara, Paty, Pituba...

3. Or, maybe Ketu dieties in reference to the predominate native faith of Candomble- Ogun, Oshosi, Xango, Nana, Oba, Iroco, Exu.

I think I am liking the last group, although I also like the idea of calling the darkest of the 4 'Black Tartarian' as in "This is Patty, Sam, and Don and this one over here is Black Tartarian"

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
...or you could name them like George Foreman. Oscar Jr., Oscar III, Oscar IV, etc.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
They are looking nice and happy! With the bigger water dish, the babies do seem to enjoy soaking at random times. I am glad the are home with you now.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
RichardS said:
...or you could name them like George Foreman. Oscar Jr., Oscar III, Oscar IV, etc.

That is not a lot better than their names right now- Ay, Bee, Cea, and Dee

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful Lil' Cherries. when mine was little he didnt soak too much, but now that he's big, he will sit for a long time in the stream. I think he likes the running water.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madkins007 said:
RichardS said:

That is not a lot better than their names right now- Ay, Bee, Cea, and Dee

I love those names right there Madkins! Priceless. These are so beautiful little Cherry's. They really look like Dale with the dark shells and all of that red on them. Are they eating as egg in one of the pictures that you posted it's hard to tell? In one of the pictures you also have some brown paper bags in their enclosure and I was wondering what that is used for? One more question for everyone with Cherry's....I always notice that everyone's Cherry's always look so wet in their pictures....Does everyone spray them before the picture or do you always keep them this wet. I tried to keep Ruby that wet, but she ended up with some shell rot on her carapace so I had to stop keeping the enclosure that moist.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Brown bag- I am out of brown bag material right now, but will have more in a few more hours (I replace it every week). The 'brown bag hide' is working pretty well- the idea was to rip up some brown bag material, crumple it, lightly dampen it, and then lay it down to simulate leaf litter. I usually have 1 or 2 hiding in it.

Shiny- I had not misted in several hours. The humidity in there is just really high. The substrate is a mix of bagged topsoil, sand, hardwood mulch and sphagnum moss. It is built up thusly:
- A layer of cypress mulch (I would have used pebbles but they are too heavy) for a 'drainage' layer
- a Flex-o-Watt heat strip that generates about 90F at most
- a layer of soil that varies from 1.5" to almost 5"
- a top layer of cypress to make a dry layer.

The soil is very damp, almost muddy. The water drains down, gets heated, and rises as humidity. I leave the lid about 1/3rd off and the area under the lid always has condensation. but the top layer of cypress means the torts are not touching the mud, thus no shell rot.

The thicker soil end gives them a place to climb and dig in, is the cooler area, and has a couple of ferns planted for shelter and air treatment.

There is also a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostatic controller for the warm-end heat, and the water dish is almost resting on the heat strip, so the water is gently warmed both ways.

I have not yet bought any new thermometers or humidity gauges, but the torts behavior suggests that things are OK- nice mix of rest in most parts of the habitat, lots of exploration and throat pumping, and hearty appetites (although they ignore collard greens.)

Next paycheck plans- introduce worms and isopods to the soil to fight pests and enrich the soil more, add more live plants (I'd LIKE to do a staghorn fern, but it will probably be more of a hanging vine thing or maybe live moss), and gauges.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mark, with all that going on, I'm thinking your lil Cherries will grow up to be beautiful and really smooth. When the Fall comes, will you get real leaf litter or keep using the brown bags? I go in the woods, and cut off branches of trees and let them dry out in the sun, and then pull the leaves off for the boxie's enclosures. In the Fall I go around the neighborhood and take bags of leaves people put out and save them in my garage.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
terryo said:
Mark, with all that going on, I'm thinking your lil Cherries will grow up to be beautiful and really smooth. When the Fall comes, will you get real leaf litter or keep using the brown bags? I go in the woods, and cut off branches of trees and let them dry out in the sun, and then pull the leaves off for the boxie's enclosures. In the Fall I go around the neighborhood and take bags of leaves people put out and save them in my garage.

I'd love to get some largish leaves that held up- banana, palm, etc. I've been thinking about getting some palm or similar mats and using them but I have not seen them around lately.

Just as a heads up, in case anyone else is thinking leaves- while you obviously know to avoid leaves that may be considered harmful, like ivy and such, don't forget that oak leaves can be hazardous if eaten as well- although the bigger risk with oak is eating the new seedlings for most tortoises.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Very nice torts Madkins, Allegra truly produces some wonderful Cherryheads!

Status
Not open for further replies.