Height of cherry heads?!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Fantastic, thankyou, that's really helpful!
I posted pictures above of the initial planning of enclosure - if you have any comments to make please do! Just hope they make sense to others aside from me...!
I'll have a proper look tonight at your drawings. I got side tracked last night.
This is off the cuff suggestions, only have one ramp and the 8" height on top deck is not high enough. Your tort will get out of that when s/he is a bit bigger.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So these are the drawings I did last night when we were first discussing the idea of building new homes. Hopefully these are easy to understand!! If anyone can offer any opinions or improvements t'would be greatly appreciated :)
Have you built any of this yet?

gsus

Hampshire, UK
Thanks! Two of the sides that are 8" are against a wall but I didn't think about the third, so I can just make those join up with the top that's not a problem, well spotted!!
Is there a reason you would advise only one ramp? I don't mind having only one for the tortoise, that won't be an issue but I would still be tempted to have two for the wood turtles as there is two of them and I figured two ways in and out would be better if there is two living in there.
And no, none of this is built and won't be for a while yet - these are just initial ideas at the moment. Lots more planning and money saving to go yet!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So these are the drawings I did last night when we were first discussing the idea of building new homes. Hopefully these are easy to understand!! If anyone can offer any opinions or improvements t'would be greatly appreciated :)
When your tort is a bit bigger you are going to need substrate at about 4 to 6" of depth. You heat source (CHE for example) will hand down 7 or 8" ish. So that means at 24" high enclosure you will only have from substrate level to bottom of the heats source approximately 10" height. That's without taking into consideration the 2nd level.
If I was you I would forget the 2nd level altogether. You will need to make sure your windows are higher than the substrate level, so I would also forget that window on the end and make sure the bottom of the front doors are 8"(maybe even 10") above the enclosure floor.
It looks like you have not got a lid on the enclosure. You need a lid to keep humidity and heat in. Your redfoot needs high humidity and temps in the range of 80f to 88f. A closed system will make this easily achievable.
A tort standing at 7 to 8" high would only be 2" away from your heat source, this is bad, you will burn the poor guy and cause scutes to deform. One way around that is to use a radiant heat panel(s), they are only 2" maximum thickness and they operate at lower temperatures than CHE's do.
In a nut shell you need to build a big vivarium.
Sorry for sounding like a pessimist

See if anyone else can add suggestions.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I just measured my largest Redfoot tortoise (He's only 9 years old and is still gaining size and weight) and standing up he was 9-1/2 inches tall. Plus he loves to stretch his neck out and look up to explore his territory and that sticks about 4in over the highest point on his shell. I realize he's not a cherry head, but maybe this can help.

gsus

Hampshire, UK
When your tort is a bit bigger you are going to need substrate at about 4 to 6" of depth. You heat source (CHE for example) will hand down 7 or 8" ish. So that means at 24" high enclosure you will only have from substrate level to bottom of the heats source approximately 10" height. That's without taking into consideration the 2nd level.
If I was you I would forget the 2nd level altogether. You will need to make sure your windows are higher than the substrate level, so I would also forget that window on the end and make sure the bottom of the front doors are 8"(maybe even 10") above the enclosure floor.
It looks like you have not got a lid on the enclosure. You need a lid to keep humidity and heat in. Your redfoot needs high humidity and temps in the range of 80f to 88f. A closed system will make this easily achievable.
A tort standing at 7 to 8" high would only be 2" away from your heat source, this is bad, you will burn the poor guy and cause scutes to deform. One way around that is to use a radiant heat panel(s), they are only 2" maximum thickness and they operate at lower temperatures than CHE's do.
In a nut shell you need to build a big vivarium.
Sorry for sounding like a pessimist

See if anyone else can add suggestions.
Wow, that's really helpful, thanks for the full reply! Will look at a redesign soon and add in your suggestions. And it's not pessimistic, it's realistic and that's what I need! Will have a proper read through when I'm back from work, thanks again!

gsus

Hampshire, UK
I just measured my largest Redfoot tortoise (He's only 9 years old and is still gaining size and weight) and standing up he was 9-1/2 inches tall. Plus he loves to stretch his neck out and look up to explore his territory and that sticks about 4in over the highest point on his shell. I realize he's not a cherry head, but maybe this can help.
Thankyou for measuring, that does help me out!