Height of cherry heads?!

gsus

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, UK
Hello!
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with as the internet has not been forthcoming so far!!
I have a baby cherry head and am planning his future, permanent enclosure. The plans at the moment are for a 3 foot by 7 foot enclosure. This will have approx foot and a half sides to it. There will also be an enclosure the same size on top for two wood turtles, although I am leaving a large gap between the two, to allow for access and ventilation.I want to also build into both of these a second level. This will cover around half of the enclosure with ramps up to it.
However, I am struggling to find any info on the actual height of adult tortoises!! I know that cherry heads can range in adult size from 8 up to - on average - 14 inches (although I'm aware some can get larger) so I could roughly guess how tall that would make them, but does anyone have an adult and so could tell me approximately how tall they are? This is so I can make sure my second level is the right height from the first to ensure no scraping of shell on the roof!!
Hope this makes sense and someone can help me!
Thankyou!!
g
Ok, so just found a thread about this, and it says that it's best to go twice the length of the shell - this sounds a lot? I've always assumed that red foots appreciate dark areas in the enclosure, to replicate their natural habitat, so I would imagine a lower roof would be better? I was thinking around 10 inches in height would be enough? This would only be for half of the enclosure, the other half would be open. If anyone can clarify for me it would be much appreciated!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello!
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with as the internet has not been forthcoming so far!!
I have a baby cherry head and am planning his future, permanent enclosure. The plans at the moment are for a 3 foot by 7 foot enclosure. This will have approx foot and a half sides to it. There will also be an enclosure the same size on top for two wood turtles, although I am leaving a large gap between the two, to allow for access and ventilation.I want to also build into both of these a second level. This will cover around half of the enclosure with ramps up to it.
However, I am struggling to find any info on the actual height of adult tortoises!! I know that cherry heads can range in adult size from 8 up to - on average - 14 inches (although I'm aware some can get larger) so I could roughly guess how tall that would make them, but does anyone have an adult and so could tell me approximately how tall they are? This is so I can make sure my second level is the right height from the first to ensure no scraping of shell on the roof!!
Hope this makes sense and someone can help me!
Thankyou!!
g
Ok, so just found a thread about this, and it says that it's best to go twice the length of the shell - this sounds a lot? I've always assumed that red foots appreciate dark areas in the enclosure, to replicate their natural habitat, so I would imagine a lower roof would be better? I was thinking around 10 inches in height would be enough? This would only be for half of the enclosure, the other half would be open. If anyone can clarify for me it would be much appreciated!
I'll measure one tonight when I get home for you, if nobody has answered by then.

gsus

Hampshire, UK
I'll measure one tonight when I get home for you, if nobody has answered by then.
That would be brilliant thank you! I understand that every tortoise is different but a rough idea of what I can expect would be really useful!!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What type of heating and lighting elements are you planning on installing? That will also dictate height.

The twice the length+ rule gives you added safety from tortoises leaning against a wall/plant and pressing off against their back legs - they can get a lot of height when they attempt to climb things.

gsus

Hampshire, UK
What type of heating and lighting elements are you planning on installing? That will also dictate height.

The twice the length+ rule gives you added safety from tortoises leaning against a wall/plant and pressing off against their back legs - they can get a lot of height when they attempt to climb things.
The actual boundary of the enclosure will be around 18inches high so I'm hoping this should be high enough to dissuade any escapes! The area I was thinking of having around 10inches is the space underneath the second level, so it will almost be like a large cave/hide area.
I will be using a uv tube (probably exo terra 10.0, would this be ok? I know redfoots are normally recommended a medium uv but I've heard that the amount of uv they actually give out is minimal so a higher one would be better?) and then heat lamps for warmth - probably one on each level. The wattage of these will obviously be dependant on the temps i get. Does this sound like it would be ok?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The actual boundary of the enclosure will be around 18inches high so I'm hoping this should be high enough to dissuade any escapes! The area I was thinking of having around 10inches is the space underneath the second level, so it will almost be like a large cave/hide area.
I will be using a uv tube (probably exo terra 10.0, would this be ok? I know redfoots are normally recommended a medium uv but I've heard that the amount of uv they actually give out is minimal so a higher one would be better?) and then heat lamps for warmth - probably one on each level. The wattage of these will obviously be dependant on the temps i get. Does this sound like it would be ok?
You would be better drawing a rough sketch of your idea with sizes and where your lighting/heating will be.
It's better to get peoples opinions before you construct the enclosure rather than after the event. Also I'll bet some ideas will crop up that you hadn't thought of. 40000 brains is better than 1. :D.
The principal sounds ok, just need to avoid any unnecessary pitfalls that others have already come across.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just looked back at your 1st post. It sounds like you have made you have in mind to keep your torts in this new build even when they are adults. 3x7ft is not big enough for an adult on a permanent basis. Even with 2nd floor your only going to have around 35sq ft of floor space. They like to roam a lot to keep occupied. Can you go bigger, is there also an outdoor area?

gsus

Hampshire, UK
You would be better drawing a rough sketch of your idea with sizes and where your lighting/heating will be.
It's better to get peoples opinions before you construct the enclosure rather than after the event. Also I'll bet some ideas will crop up that you hadn't thought of. 40000 brains is better than 1. :D.
The principal sounds ok, just need to avoid any unnecessary pitfalls that others have already come across.
I was just considering this as I tried to explain it above! I can see it in my head but trying to describe...not so easy! I started rough sketches last night but will try and get something proper drawn up and post it here. Would welcome ideas and opinions from experienced keepers. I am fine with turtles but this is my first tortoise and want to get it spot on! I won't be rushing into building as he is still tiny at the moment plus I need to save some moulah! Thanks for all the replies so far - will get sketching!!

gsus

Hampshire, UK
I just looked back at your 1st post. It sounds like you have made you have in mind to keep your torts in this new build even when they are adults. 3x7ft is not big enough for an adult on a permanent basis. Even with 2nd floor your only going to have around 35sq ft of floor space. They like to roam a lot to keep occupied. Can you go bigger, is there also an outdoor area?
This is the biggest I can go indoors unfortunately and I'm aware that redfoot/cherry heads are very active tortoises which is why I wanted to add in a second floor, for that bit of extra space. What size would you recommend for an adult cherry head? I do have a garden and at the moment he goes outside on sunny days in a run. Once he's bigger I will be hoping to create a more permanent large outside area.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is the biggest I can go indoors unfortunately and I'm aware that redfoot/cherry heads are very active tortoises which is why I wanted to add in a second floor, for that bit of extra space. What size would you recommend for an adult cherry head? I do have a garden and at the moment he goes outside on sunny days in a run. Once he's bigger I will be hoping to create a more permanent large outside area.
There are many redfoot keepers and breeders that bring the torts indoors during colder periods into what we would consider small enclosures. Not many live in a yearly 'ideal' climate, especially me and you. Outdoor enclosure size(how long is a piece of string). Howmany reds do you have. I was told 300sq foot would house a small herd if up to 3 or 4. 1 tort still needs to roam as much as 3 would. Also a plain 300sq foot area geared up to stimulate the brain would be better than a 400sq ft area of just short grass.(for this species) IMO. The guy would get bored.
Do you have any outhouses you could utilize?

gsus

Hampshire, UK
This is his enclosure at the moment - I do have a lid for it but wanted to show you the inside and see what you think! I use topsoil and sphagnum moss and he has hides and things to climb and explore. I will replicate this on a bigger scale as he grows and when I attempt to build an outside pen it will also - hopefully! - look similar to this with regards to decor. I will be replacing my uv - before anyone mentions it! - with a strip uv bulb as soon as I can.

Attachments

• 20160512_085958.jpg
    20160512_085958.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 25

gsus

Hampshire, UK
There are many redfoot keepers and breeders that bring the torts indoors during colder periods into what we would consider small enclosures. Not many live in a yearly 'ideal' climate, especially me and you. Outdoor enclosure size(how long is a piece of string). Howmany reds do you have. I was told 300sq foot would house a small herd if up to 3 or 4. 1 tort still needs to roam as much as 3 would. Also a plain 300sq foot area geared up to stimulate the brain would be better than a 400sq ft area of just short grass.(for this species) IMO. The guy would get bored.
I only have the one cherry head and will not be adding any more. My garden is small but the idea is that he will have the whole thing. I don't have any readymade structures out there but will probably build a tortoise house and run electrics to it. Not sure on the actual size of the garden - will have a look and see if I can work it out!! The permanant outside enclosure is a few years in the future - the inside one is the one I am concentrating on now so he can have a larger space indoors. As I work full time at the moment he goes outside when I am home so he is either in a run or free roaming while I can keep an eye on him, so I think at the moment the outside space is ok for him.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is his enclosure at the moment - I do have a lid for it but wanted to show you the inside and see what you think! I use topsoil and sphagnum moss and he has hides and things to climb and explore. I will replicate this on a bigger scale as he grows and when I attempt to build an outside pen it will also - hopefully! - look similar to this with regards to decor. I will be replacing my uv - before anyone mentions it! - with a strip uv bulb as soon as I can.
Looks good, very creative, I would feed on a flat Rock, better still a piece of slate, so he doesn't have to reach over the edge to eat, feeding down to a slate will help keep the beak in trim, also there is way too much food in there for that guy, surely he's not eating all that. Reduce the amount you feed tomorrow by judging the amount he wasted today.
Also make sure your water is not to deep, make it so if he every turns over he's not under the water level.
From the photo those 3 large pebbles near the water look very high, if he's constantly got to go over them to get to the water he will scratch the plastron.

gsus

Hampshire, UK
Looks good, very creative, I would feed on a flat Rock, better still a piece of slate, so he doesn't have to reach over the edge to eat, feeding down to a slate will help keep the beak in trim, also there is way too much food in there for that guy, surely he's not eating all that. Reduce the amount you feed tomorrow by judging the amount he wasted today.
Also make sure your water is not to deep, make it so if he every turns over he's not under the water level.
From the photo those 3 large pebbles near the water look very high, if he's constantly got to go over them to get to the water he will scratch the plastron.
Thanks for the tips! That wasn't a recent photo and I have actually just changed him to a slate for feeding. But I will look at moving the pebbles - the wood to the right of them is an archway so he can travel underneath it to the water. He uses both ways so I will move the pebbles, thanks! The water is not overly deep, I have made it so that it covers his nose and mouth when he drinks. I have been bathing him daily in deeper water. And yeah, the food thing has been a bit of trial and error with quantities! I have learned it's better to feed little and often as I was wasting quite a bit!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is it a nightmare changing the water?

gsus

Hampshire, UK
Is it a nightmare changing the water?
No, not at all. The bricks that are round it are just slightly below the lip of the water bowl. They hold the substrate backand leave me an edge to hold onto. I just lift out, empty, clean and replace

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The word plain should not be above. Stupid phone, words keeps disappearing then appearing randomly. Dont ever buy a Nexus Google phone. They are ***t. That's my moan for the day. Lol. :D

gsus

Hampshire, UK
So these are the drawings I did last night when we were first discussing the idea of building new homes. Hopefully these are easy to understand!! If anyone can offer any opinions or improvements t'would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• 20160526_205245.jpg
    20160526_205245.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20160526_182859.jpg
    20160526_182859.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 15

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I measured my adults, with carapace on the ground they are around 6" high. So taking into account legs and head they could be up to 9" high.

gsus

Hampshire, UK
I measured my adults, with carapace on the ground they are around 6" high. So taking into account legs and head they could be up to 9" high.
Fantastic, thankyou, that's really helpful!
I posted pictures above of the initial planning of enclosure - if you have any comments to make please do! Just hope they make sense to others aside from me...!