New baby Cherry-heads in a new tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Thanks to a swap with AllegraF, I now have 4 incredible baby Red-foots, Cherry-head morph. I have not had babies in a bit, and not this many at once, so I had to set up a new habitat and decided to try a few new ideas.

(or directly at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27915195@N03/4725286631/ )

The substrate is several inches thick and a blend of sand, clean bagged topsoil, and hardwood mulch with several big scoops of the soil from the established habitat to inoculate it with good micro-organisms. A layer of cypress mulch on top offers a drier and cleaner zone.

The goal here is to provide another 'bioactive substrate' that worked so well in the main habitat.

Another thing I am trying is a hide made of torn up, rumpled, and slightly dampened brown paper to better simulate a burrow or leaf pile. I've seen this idea in one form or another in several sources. When I set it up, one of the babies rushed for it (as seen in the photo), and eventually, 3 were using it. Right now, it is 1/2 and 1/2 'leaves' and under the ferns in the habitat. I'll replace the bags periodically.

There is also a thick wad of Mosser Lee moss to climb on and snuggle in.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's great Mark. The only thing I would change is maybe a much larger water dish, buried more into the substrate so they can climb in and out easier. Pio used to sit in his water dish a lot, and he still soaks himself for long periods when he's inside and also when he's outside.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Mark!

Where are all the photos of your babies' faces?! :(

I went through the flickr series of 7, and only saw one detailed Redfoot (nice racing stripes on those back legs!), but is that one of your babies? And if so, why just one?

Are you being lazy? That's very unlike you to be so "un-thorough"! :rolleyes:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm not really much into taking photos. I have a daughter who is a semi-pro and keep pestering her to come over and do it.

Water dish- it is sunk to the rim, but I'm swapping it for a larger one asap.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, call her up again and tell her there are important and impatient people on this forum who are waiting...!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Now that's more like it!

Cute as buttons and they fit right on their dinner plate. :D

Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.