Worried horsefields owner

Tara Earle

Hi.
Can any one help me I am the owner of 2 fantastic tortoise called Mango and Burt both are around 2 years old and I must say are brilliant I have become very fond of them both. My question is Mango the biggest of the two goes up and down there vivarium climbing and digging like she is trying to escape. I have heard this is normal but she does it for hours ...!!!. When she is in her pen outside she goes straight in to her house and doesn't move its really strange. Can anyone help me any advise would be great.

Many thanks
T

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the forum....we love pics...

Perhaps, the tort is just fickled....lol....and if not, maybe the tort is trying to get back to the outdoors where it likes, but then once there realizes it is exposed, vulnerable to any other critter bigger and hungrier than it...so it retreats...are there other hiding places (plants and such) spread about the outside enclosure to offer a path way to move about but still feel covered/sneaky?

How long have the two torts been in your care?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum!!!!!:) how big is there enclosure? what substrate are you using? also keeping 2 Russians together is not a good idea, torts are very territorial, russians love there spaces to them selfs. also one tort usually will dominate the other and the lesser one will not get enough food:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How long have you had these tortoises. It just might be that it will take some time for them to get used to living in a new place. However from what you describe, it sounds like Mango just wants to be outside where he feels safe.

Welcome to the Forum!

Tara Earle

I have had the both of them over a year. The enclosure is 3ft long I was thinking that maybe a bigger one might let her get some excercise. I think she is fickle I do truly believe. I feed them separate have always done so as wanted to keep a close eye on there growth and eating habits.

There outside enclosure is a little open. I have done a few changes today with plant pots they can hide in and lots of different textures underfoot

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. How do I get her to stop will changing the length of the lights in the enclosure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
View attachment 97748 Here you go this is mango being naughty lol

So this is the tortoise you call Mango? You believe this to be a female? Well, although the pic is from the side---I believe Mango to be a male....very substantial tail/tail wrap around going on....but back to the wall climbing....

I would move that log away from the corner--the tort likely sees that with it there he can attain freedom if he tries hard enough to climb....You can also perhaps place a canopy type plant in that corner and sink it down into the substrate (you can use a real plant or silk plant) also, how deep is the substrate? If you are able to either put them each in their own enclosure or increase the enclosure size, that may help some while they are inside....you say you have had them for a year...did the tort recently begin this behavior change? Or has the tort always done the climbing?

rockispilski

That really does look to be a male. I have a female and male I keep separate. Post a picture of the two! Very cute!

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Welcome. Mango definitely looks like a male!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California