Aldabra french

mairic

Hi, I'm french and I have a gigantea. Do you know if it's a male or female? In addition it has a problem in his eyes you know what that can be? In France because no veterinary includes his eyes.
How do I know if it's a Dipsochelys dussumieri dussumieri Dipsochelys dussumieri arnoldi, Dipsochelys dussumieri hololissa?

mairic

Hi, I'm french and I have a gigantea. Do you know if it's a male or female? In addition it has a problem in his eyes you know what that can be? In France because no veterinary includes his eyes.
How do I know if it's a Dipsochelys dussumieri dussumieri Dipsochelys dussumieri arnoldi, Dipsochelys dussumieri hololissa?

mairic

How do I know if it's a Dipsochelys dussumieri dussumieri Dipsochelys dussumieri arnoldi, Dipsochelys dussumieri hololissa?DSC_0308.JPG DSC_0384.JPG DSC_0713.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0308.JPG
    DSC_0308.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty small tail (female), however almost all tortoises look female when they are young. I think your tortoise is too young yet to know the sex. My Aldabran tortoises were too heavy for me to be able to turn them over by the time they were big enough to tell their sex.

I don't know what to say about the eyes, except that something is irritating it. What substrate do you have inside the hiding place?

Buy some sort of eye ointment, whether for animals or humans, and apply the ointment to the eyes three times a day. See if that helps. You can also rinse the eyes with saline solution.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to tell the difference between the sub species.

mairic

I already try the ointment the vet gave me but it does not matter. I use SEVERAL substrate type but nothing changes. I put the straw.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I would seek a competent tortoise vet ASAP and have a full exam, including cultures and blood work. I have recently heard of two cases of the Herpes virus in aldabra tortoise, however they were not in France. The eye looks infected, could be a primary issue or secondary to something worse!

-1 2.jpg

mairic

it has been some two years now that the eyes are like that, she eats well, grown up. But no vet France to save it.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Okay. I'm going, to give this a shot with the hope that it will make a difference. I get what you are saying ; you are in France , there are no reptile or tortoise vets there. But you do have several Zoos. I would bet one of them keeps large tortoises. You could contact one of them and see if a referral can be made.

Barring that , send him to me. And I'll get him fixed.
:)
Mike.

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
Your Aldabra has SEVERE conjunctivitis (inflammation of the ocular tissues). Conjunctivitis can be caused by viral, bacterial (including mycoplasma), traumatic ulcer, and environmental contact stimuli. However, based on the severity and chronicity ( 2 years), I am very concerned that your Aldabra has a viral disease underlying this. As Aldabraman stated, herpes virus as well as adenovirus are emerging viruses in tortoises. Herpes virus in particular, which plagues imported Mediterranean tortoises, is contracted in the crowded and filthy conditions of the imported pet trade, and then emerges in the stressful transition to captivity. Worse yet, as wild populations of some chelonians ( such as box turtles) are clinically healthy yet seemingly naturally seropositive for a herpes virus, when intermingled in crowded captive conditions ( stress causing increased viremia and shedding) with other chelonian species not evolved to deal with it, the virus's pathogenicity is ever more increased.

There are diagnostic labs that test for chelonian herpes viruses in both Germany and Italy as can be seen here http://www.eaza.net/activities/tdfactsheets/029 Herpesvirus Infection In Tortoises.doc.pdf

As I can see from your profile photo, your Aldabra is not your only tortoise. I recommend you isolate your Aldabra from the rest of your tortoises and use strict hand washing (preferably gloves), and separate shoes when entering his or her enclosure.

I recommend you try to find a vet willing to collect a blood sample and send it to one of the above labs. Although there is no cure for a virus, symptomatic care such as treating a secondary bacterial infection ( Neo Poly Dex eye drops) and Acyclovir (anti-viral drug) are supportive symptomatic therapies while isolating your Aldabra from other tortoises.

I realize this may be overwhelming, however I encourage you not to get discouraged. Our ocular tissues are highly innervated ( highly pain sensitive) and we owe it to our captive animals to pursue the relief of their pain.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

mairic

It is already isolated from other turtle. By the time against his eyes ria and time ca returns.

mairic

I took pictures today. It's better but I feel that's when she gets mad. I took before eating. And during meals (moin eyes are fine when she eats.
I put a picture of his long noseDSC_1465[1].JPG DSC_1495[1].JPG DSC_1495[1].JPG DSC_1505[1].JPG DSC_1505[1].JPG DSC_1509[1].JPG DSC_1513[1].JPG DSC_1521[1].JPG