Worms in tortoise poop

Izzybella227

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello! Today I found a worm in my tortoises poop, which I noticed after he was hesitant to eat this morning. The soonest I was able to get in to the vet was Friday, and I am just wondering what should I be doing until then/ is that too long for my tortoise to wait? I am scared to self treat, since I worry I will not dilute a medication enough and potentially poison my tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello! Today I found a worm in my tortoises poop, which I noticed after he was hesitant to eat this morning. The soonest I was able to get in to the vet was Friday, and I am just wondering what should I be doing until then/ is that too long for my tortoise to wait? I am scared to self treat, since I worry I will not dilute a medication enough and potentially poison my tortoise.
Do not treat anything yourself.
Can you post a photo of the worm
(Sometimes it's just some undigested plant matter)
Make sure that your vet understands tortoises.
If he or she mentions a "vitamin injection" leave there immediately.
One worm doesn't mean much. But seeing a live worm...Plus a slow moving, lethargic tortoise, might.
Keep him hydrated and feed whatever he'll eat until you see the vet.

Izzybella227

Minnesota
Since we won’t be in until Friday I through the piece I found the work in away so I could bring a “fresh” sample Friday. What I saw was very smal and white (look almost like a small piece of string) and was moving. I called another local vet and the pet store in my area and both recommended this vet for reptiles!

Izzybella227

Minnesota
Do not treat anything yourself.
Can you post a photo of the worm
(Sometimes it's just some undigested plant matter)
Make sure that your vet understands tortoises.
If he or she mentions a "vitamin injection" leave there immediately.
One worm doesn't mean much. But seeing a live worm...Plus a slow moving, lethargic tortoise, might.
Keep him hydrated and feed whatever he'll eat until you see the vet.
And also I’ve read some on here about feeding pumpkin to help what are your thoughts on that? Sorry I am new to posting on here and didn’t hit reply for my other response!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Since we won’t be in until Friday I through the piece I found the work in away so I could bring a “fresh” sample Friday. What I saw was very smal and white (look almost like a small piece of string) and was moving. I called another local vet and the pet store in my area and both recommended this vet for reptiles!
Ok
Wiggling is a worm.
Probably a round worm or a pin worm.
Treatment is simple and effective.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
And also I’ve read some on here about feeding pumpkin to help what are your thoughts on that? Sorry I am new to posting on here and didn’t hit reply for my other response!
The thing is, he'd have to eat like 3 pounds of pumpkin seeds to get any medicinal effect from them.
So, while its technically true. Its useless.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
For future reference... If you see a live worm and only the one worm, take pictures. It will probably be the most gross thing on your phone for a few days, but at least you would have the option to email it to the vet, if needed. So if you didn't get as good of a specimen later, it might still help the vet see what you see.

It sounds like this will probably be a fairly straightforward diagnosis. However, I want to mention (for future reference, hopefully you won't need it) what I've learned with my warm blooded critters is that the weirder the worm (or other parasite), the more important it is to hang onto the specimen regardless of how much time has elapsed. That usually means putting it into an airtight bag or other container in the freezer or refrigerator (ask the vet's office). Label the bag with a permanent marker, and be sure to include the date of the sample.

Izzybella227

Minnesota
For future reference... If you see a live worm and only the one worm, take pictures. It will probably be the most gross thing on your phone for a few days, but at least you would have the option to email it to the vet, if needed. So if you didn't get as good of a specimen later, it might still help the vet see what you see.

It sounds like this will probably be a fairly straightforward diagnosis. However, I want to mention (for future reference, hopefully you won't need it) what I've learned with my warm blooded critters is that the weirder the worm (or other parasite), the more important it is to hang onto the specimen regardless of how much time has elapsed. That usually means putting it into an airtight bag or other container in the freezer or refrigerator (ask the vet's office). Label the bag with a permanent marker, and be sure to include the date of the sample.
Thank you!