Worms

Richard41

I have recently noticed worms in my two baby red foots poop and I am very concerned about it. I ordered some deworming meds from lllreptile the safeguard stuff and will be using that. I see pieces and a few whole worms in the poop but usually the worms are dead or seem dead. I have only seen a couple move and I check their poop now instantly after they poop and still no other movement. Besides the meds I'm not sure what else to do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have recently noticed worms in my two baby red foots poop and I am very concerned about it. I ordered some deworming meds from lllreptile the safeguard stuff and will be using that. I see pieces and a few whole worms in the poop but usually the worms are dead or seem dead. I have only seen a couple move and I check their poop now instantly after they poop and still no other movement. Besides the meds I'm not sure what else to do.

Round worm? Tape worm? Pin worm? Whip worm?.....which worm species?

Richard41

Not exactly sure I will post pictures of the next time they both poop if it will help. they are both really active and eating like champs still. They seem to be small thin worms and the only two I saw moving were really small and had black tipped heads. Any ideas?

Richard41

From what I've looked at and read about I think it may be round worms, but will still post pictures to be sure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Not exactly sure I will post pictures of the next time they both poop if it will help. they are both really active and eating like champs still. They seem to be small thin worms and the only two I saw moving were really small and had black tipped heads. Any ideas?

http://www.sunburyallcreatures.com.au/IntestinalWorms.aspx

http://www.universityvet.com/resource/internal-parasites-reptiles

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...amphibians-proceedings?id=&pageID=1&sk=&date=

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would have to say roundworms thanks for posting those links.

Roundworms are readily treatable...they are also very commonly picked up by affected soil/plants and such....they can be controlled by periodic treatment...also keep in mind this little creepy fact;

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/roundworms

and

Parasitic roundworms can live on or in humans where they can cause a variety of health problems. Most parasitic roundworm eggs or larvae (immature form) are found in the soil and enter the human body when a person picks them up on the hands and then transfers them to the mouth. The eggs or larvae also can enter the human body directly through the skin.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If they are shedding the worms in their feces, it is probably a bloom. not uncommon, treat at same time, I would quaratine them in sep. enclosures till they stop shedding them.

Richard41

Thanks for the tips they're very helpful my torts will be getting treated as soon as I get the meds. I appreciate the quick replies!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If they are shedding the worms in their feces, it is probably a bloom. not uncommon, treat at same time, I would quaratine them in sep. enclosures till they stop shedding them.

Be sure to wash your hands well before and after handling the torts,...and don't place then in your mouth....:))) lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Be sure to wash your hands well before and after handling the torts,...and don't place then in your mouth....:))) lol

Or you can wear disposable gloves --this is better when you need to handle more than one tortoise in a routine....

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
You will also need to change the substrate in the enclosure before reintroducing them in it.