Working on pen this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel

5 Year Member
I am going to add subtrate to my Yellow Foot Tortoise pen. Can a Box Turtle be housed in the same pen? What is a safe lasting material I could use across the bottom to keep the Box from digging out? Okay edited to add pen pics.

Attachments

• outdoor pens.jpg
    outdoor pens.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 37
  • oudoor pens2.jpg
    oudoor pens2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 48

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mel:

Nice pen. I wouldn't put the two together. Care would be similar, but its still two different species from two separate continents.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
People do it, but it's unwise.

Nice enclosure, though! Do you have room for another? It's well made, and very suitable for either species.

Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you provide the box turtle with a nice big pile of garden trash and leaves, chances are pretty good he won't try to dig out. Just make sure there's no "daylight" showing under any of the walls. If they can see daylight, that's where they'll dig. I don't have anything buried to inhibit digging, but my box turtle pen walls (grape stakes) are down into the ground about 3".

Katherine

5 Year Member
Wow what a cute little set up you've made! I like it and I bet your tortoise will too! Like others I wouldn't advise mixing species, but I do really like your pen- good job!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
If you provide the box turtle with a nice big pile of garden trash and leaves, chances are pretty good he won't try to dig out. Just make sure there's no "daylight" showing under any of the walls. If they can see daylight, that's where they'll dig. I don't have anything buried to inhibit digging, but my box turtle pen walls (grape stakes) are down into the ground about 3".

My box turtles use to climb the plants and jump the walls, While I was watching. The can go over or under

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Nice pen, its usually a bad idea to mix species they all have different diseases, and bacteria etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.