Can you guess what this is?

AJK Aquaria

Hello Colleen

What are your winter high and low average temperatures there in PA? Do you know what areas of the country your 3 toeds came from? I have not made up my mind on what I'm going to do with mine regarding brumation.

Thanks

PS- nice setup!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
This is going to be the turtle pen this weekend! Backhoe is coming friday, so we can dig a hibernaculum in the turtle pen.

i am so excited. I have a couple logs, one is a half log, i can use as a top to a den, and another log os hollow and both can fit inside.

I have been growing some dutch clover and some ornamental fescue grasses in seed starter kits. We grow strawberries so i will transplant a few into the turtle pen.
Looks interesting. Can't wait to see it ready!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Hello Colleen

What are your winter high and low average temperatures there in PA? Do you know what areas of the country your 3 toeds came from? I have not made up my mind on what I'm going to do with mine regarding brumation.

Thanks

PS- nice setup!

One of mine came from Oklahoma the others i have no clue where they are from. i have not wintered them yet. when the leaves fall, i will gather up leaf litter and pack the den with it so they can hibernate down under the leaves. winter lows idk it varies. the worst would be -10 f and the summer highs can get to be 108 but that is rare. mostly high 80's to 90's.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
recent pic- the bottom right corner is a little shower seat that i keep out there to sit and watch them.

turtpenjuly2016_zps3jewcacn.jpg

AJK Aquaria

One of mine came from Oklahoma the others i have no clue where they are from. i have not wintered them yet. when the leaves fall, i will gather up leaf litter and pack the den with it so they can hibernate down under the leaves. winter lows idk it varies. the worst would be -10 f and the summer highs can get to be 108 but that is rare. mostly high 80's to 90's.

Thanks. But do you know your average winter temps? Just wondering how it compares to my area.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Thanks. But do you know your average winter temps? Just wondering how it compares to my area.

There is no average, every year is different. Most of the time temps are low 30's or high 20's but we have had winters that were all snow, and some with no snow, and with climate change, there have been milder winters lately. we can go as low as -10. but we also have days of 50 degrees( not as many as i'd like).

AJK Aquaria

Thanks for the detailed response Colleen. That's the info I need and your winters sound very similar to mine. And yes.... not enough 50 degree days.

pclare

NJ
All I can say is, I'm scrolling through this and smiling like a doofus because I'm so happy I'm not the only one who spends all their time and money building (and rebuilding) turtle habitats.

I'm a teacher, so the first project every summer, spring, and winter break involves overhauling something for the turtles.