more recent pictures of my pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
The pictures of my pen some of them are from the spring before I moved. Un fortunatelly some of the plants dropped all of their leaves (small native Rhododendrons and older Blueberries). The ferns didn't like the move much either and I lost my pokeweed thouh I'm growing a new one outside the pen in a pot. I am also currently growing other plants to add to the pen later and have some plants at my dad's house that I will be adding to the pen in the fall (wild strewberries, and Commn Blue Violets) that I've been growing there for 20 years. I'm also considering adding some of my Eastern Prickly Pear Cacti though I'm probably going to wait until I can build a bigger pen. I also am growing trees that will eventually be planted to form a canopy over the pen. The pen has most of the window screening finish I have to do the lid. I am going to be putting some wood stripping along the the horizontals and verticals to help prevent fraying of the hardware clothe. The landscape cloth on the lid (black stuff) is there to simulate ~60% cnopy cover which is similar to that in my study area and other older forested areas in my area (though they range from 50-90% canopy roughly). If you want to know the species in the pen I will tell you. The first pic is from early March. The second is from late March. The third one is from May just prior to the move. Te next couple are from early July. The last ones are from late July. I will soon be posting on native plant species that are suitable for use in pens and the climactic zones they can grow in. Alot of the native plants can grow in most of North America below zone 10 though some only grow to zone 8 or 9 reliably. I'm in zone 8a. Though the plants are mainly ones that cooccur with the EBT, FlaBT, GCBT and TTBT. I will eventually be posting more complete lists on NABTCG's facebook for Ornate and Desert Box Turtles as well as the Eastern. I will more then likely not be making such lists for the MBT or YBT or SBT as these are rare in the U.S.A. thus not likely to be in the hands of private individuals. Though if any one has them I could do the research.

Attachments

• pen 8.JPG
    pen 8.JPG
    707.7 KB · Views: 95
  • pen 9.JPG
    pen 9.JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 102
  • pen 10.JPG
    pen 10.JPG
    635.9 KB · Views: 65
  • pen 11.JPG
    pen 11.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 55
  • pen 12.JPG
    pen 12.JPG
    625.9 KB · Views: 48
  • pen 13.JPG
    pen 13.JPG
    548.9 KB · Views: 58
  • pen 14.JPG
    pen 14.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 52
  • pen 15.JPG
    pen 15.JPG
    499.2 KB · Views: 58
  • pen 16.JPG
    pen 16.JPG
    573.8 KB · Views: 80
  • pen 17.JPG
    pen 17.JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 80

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Nice, I like the natural wood look. They do like leaf litter! How do you reach them? Is there a door or can you reach down over the top?

Steve

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
supremelysteve said:
How do you reach them? Is there a door or can you reach down over the top?

Steve

:D That was going to be my question, too.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
supremelysteve said:
Nice, I like the natural wood look. They do like leaf litter! How do you reach them? Is there a door or can you reach down over the top?

Steve

I have to climb in. It was originally supposed to be planted about a 1.5 ft in the ground. The leaf litter has to be replenished periodically. Unfortunately not all of the plants liked the move. I'm hoping they will recover especially the older blueberries as I've had them for about ten years.

By the way the lid was up to show the landscape cloth used for canopy replication. One day when I and my wife have our own land I will be giving the turtles a real canopy again.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Thanks. Yeah they really do after their initial testing of the pen (including climbing up and almost out). After they realized there was a lid they stopped trying to get out. Though only three ever tried Shelly, Little John and the red female (who still has no name).

Status
Not open for further replies.