New Outdoor Pen Update Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Here is the pen, it is divided into 5 sub-pens. I spent all my spare time in December and the first part of January remodeling the previous smaller pen and it's original pond (now in pen 5).
I'm thinking max occupancy is probably a 1:4 group in each pen. Each pen has a pond, with flowing water starting in pen 1, flowing successively into each pen. After pen 5, the water is pumped out, through a biological filter, and then a uv sterilyzer filter, and then back into pen 1. I ended up putting 1/4 inch wire mesh at each spillway to keep leaves from collecting and obstructing the flow.
1/2 inch sprinkler hose runs around the perimeter, under the edge of the wall, and 1/4 hose runs along the top of each wire fence, so I can put sprinkler nozzles in wherever I need to.
Outside the pen is the Golden Greek pen, which along with the dog kennel occupies the rest of our house's north side.
IMG_0087s.jpg

Water comes through the wall to water the Golden Greek's rock water bowls. The drippers run everytime the sprinklers come on in the box turtle pen.
IMG_0082s.jpg

Pen 1 is 3.5 feet wide.
IMG_0074s.jpg

Pen 2 is 3 feet wide.
IMG_0075s.jpg

Pen 3 is 3 feet wide.
IMG_0076s.jpg

Pen 4 is 3 feet wide.
IMG_0077s.jpg

Pen 5 is the biggest.
IMG_0079s.jpg

A dry creek bed of large cobbles gives me access to the pens without trampling things. Strawberries are planted on either side of the path. I find they fill out nicely and give humid vegetation to hide under as well as a supply of strawberries all season.
IMG_0083s.jpg

The food bowls are along the front. Eventually the front will be shaded all summer as the plants grow.
IMG_0081s.jpg

The food plates (plant pot saucers) are double stacked, so the bottom bowl holds water, with the gap big enough to keep ants from reaching the upper bowl and the food it will hold. At least that's what I hope for. Ants are pretty smart at figuring out how to get food.
IMG_0088s.jpg

The wood rails are for the shade cloth roller. The shade cloth is stapled to two loose 2x4's. One side can be rolled up, (rolled up mostly in the pic) and slid to where I want them on the slider rails. This way I can shade it in the hot summer, but still access it for cleaning or during the winter when I might want more light.
IMG_0085s.jpg

Each pen has 2 hides. One is in the front in the shade, and one in the back in the sun. Each hide is depressed into the ground a little, and will be kept mostly full of leaf litter to allow the turtles more natural humidity and security.
IMG_0080s.jpg

Time will tell whether I keep leaves just in the hide or in front as well. Also, I don't know how much of a leaf stockpile I'll have to store each fall to keep these supplied. Emmy is the only turtle up right now. The others that came up a couple weeks ago went back under the leaf piles.
IMG_0084s.jpg

Also, so far it takes about a single day's efforts for them to get used to the 2x3 inch vinyl coated wire fencing. I hope all of them learn to see it as a permanent barrier quickly. I'll know in the next few weeks as it warms up.
IMG_1052s-1.jpg

IMG_1054s-1.jpg

Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've put a lot of thought and a lot of work into it. Looks great. I don't know about the wire between the pens though. They climb pretty good.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Fantastic, Very smart idea's about the food bowl.
I Used to do that when i had a big dog living in my park yard :)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
You've put a lot of thought and a lot of work into it. Looks great. I don't know about the wire between the pens though. They climb pretty good.

Yes, I learned my lesson with box turtles and chicken wire years ago! I made a separator out of chicken wire in my pen my dad built for me as a kid. The male went right over it the first day. Luckily, I found him several days later out in the orchard.
I'm hoping that the large openings will make them think "through not over!". I recall reading this in a book, not sure which one. If any of them make any attempts whatsoever to climb. I'll slit one side of 2 inch diameter ABS black pipe lengthwise to slide onto the top of the wire fence sections. That will make a permanent barrier. I'd rather not though, since I think it will detract from the open look it currently has.

These things always have problems to fix and adjust, but I kind of like the challenge.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I love seeing these outdoor enclosures...but then I feel sad for my little indoor turtles!...i wish i had the outdoor space for them..I am hoping by the September to be out of an apartment and into a house with a yard....in the meantime...i am gathering ideas from other TFO members...Steve you have a very nice setup!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
What a cool enclosure, I hope the food dish idea works, ants are pretty crafty...

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i wonder if the males will be overly agressive with each other through the fence? i know wally will snap at a mirror reflection of himself. just somthing to think about, other then that these look Awesome :) thanks for the idea's, youve got my thinker thinkin :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
WOW that looks awesome :) i bet the turtles are LOVING it , really great job .. i love the pic of the little eastern trying to go through the fence lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very nice. My one concern, (because it's the same concern I have on a Hingeback complex I am currently working on that will be much like this, only on a larger scale), is the fact that by having a water source which runs from one pen to the next, that creates a community bathtub/potty area. It will be the same as if all those tortoises (turtles in your case) are living in one enclosure. So what one animal in the setup has, all will have, but especially the ones just before the filter system. With my setup, I haven't decided if I can take the risk.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Very nice enclosure. It looks so natural.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
Nice job, really well thought out. Is that a new female I see? Very nice.

I bought her from a TFO member who was moving last summer. She's very inquisitive and is always out in the open by the feeding area.

Jacqui said:
Very nice. My one concern, (because it's the same concern I have on a Hingeback complex I am currently working on that will be much like this, only on a larger scale), is the fact that by having a water source which runs from one pen to the next, that creates a community bathtub/potty area. It will be the same as if all those tortoises (turtles in your case) are living in one enclosure. So what one animal in the setup has, all will have, but especially the ones just before the filter system. With my setup, I haven't decided if I can take the risk.

I debated with myself for a long time on how to do that. I thought that 5 systems would have a much higher risk of something always going wrong than with just one system. Also, where would I hide the filter canisters and the uv sterilizers, etc.

So what I ended up doing is making each pond as big as I could so they would be large enough to be an independent system if I wanted them to. I would just have to seal off the spillway, and install a pump and both filters for each pond.

On the other hand, all my turtles lived together in the old pen on just the one pond at the bottom of the system. It's maybe a 100 -125 gallons. Now, there are 4 more ponds, maybe 30 gallons each, so the total volume of the system is now at least twice as big, which allows it to handle more inputs, at least as far as breaking down fecal matter.

But you're right on disease or parasites passing downstream. The UV sterylizer is larger than I need, and should even kill large parasite eggs, so the continual cycling or buildup of viruses, bacteria, and parasites shouldn't occur. But these things can still move downstream between ponds until the water gets filtered.

If I notice any pattern of disease that would suggest this, I'll have to convert to separate individual systems. I hope I don't have to, but if I do, these ponds will be easy to convert.

I did setup my groups with the best group in pen one, keeping them safe with the sterylized water, and the next best in pen two keeping them next safest, etc, just in case. I guess I'm showing favoritism.

Good luck with your pen, and be sure to put up pics when you've finished!

Steve

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
were allowed favorites! id give up all others before mt ttbt penelope, their not like children :(, i also have a favorite dog of the two i own...

Status
Not open for further replies.