Working on new outdoor area

hoopytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Finally started work on our outdoor enclosure for our hatchling. It has a chicken wire lid that latches on top.
Need to add plants and cover. I let him explore while we worked on it. During first half of day it'd all shaded.. second have is pretty sunny. Until evening then shade hits it again.

1471202476785.jpg 1471202487371.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice.

I would move the house over to the corner so there's no space beside or behind it. Also, if you ever have the lid open and unattended, tortoises use plants as ladders, so be aware of that.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A wonderful enclosure and a cute tort.:<3:

Please allow me to say that I agree with @Yvonne G : torts tend to climb on literally anything they find in/around their enclosures. Oli gave me a very hard time trying to get out of his enclosure, and we (at TFO) could not figure out what it was. I therefore sat and watched till I found that it was a.....staple he would cling onto and try to get out! ;) Obviously I got rid of it. So take care.:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Great advice!
I had a baby Redfoot scale a 12" straight, wooden wall.
I'd also "cap" the corners with wooden triangles on top.
Corners are a favorite climbing spot.
You gotta think like a tortoise.

hoopytortoise

Missouri
Yikes! Okay definitely moving things around a bit more. The plants are thyme, sage, dandelion and grass. All came out of my herb garden. Well the grass came from my dad's place. The dandelion I just dug up from my yard. I plan to put more of those in there soon.