WORK IN PROGRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
JUST GOT STARTED MAKING THE VIVARIUM...STILL NEED TONS OF STUFF, BUT PETCO AND PETSMART HAVE NOTHING FOR MY TURTLE NEEDS..WHAT A WASTE OF GAS AND TIME IN THIS POURING RAIN!!

Just noticed I had caps on too lazy to erase it...anyway...any advice welcomed...*note I am not finished yet

Also..see the ornate turtles beak..poor baby!!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:
wanna sell that tank? ill buy it for 100 turtles not included!!! you got a smoken hot deal there!

I KNOW!!!...What a score....I will add more plants and more substrate.....Its raining here so it kinds sucks to shop in it....but that little ornate is all over the place..climbing the logs and in the plants..walking in and out of the water (now mud)..and the ttbt is just under the log chilling out.....

plus i think the ornate is a boy..red eyes and the plastron is concave..now that I have them home I can really examine them..I want to give them a few days to get used to me before i start handling them...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You'll probably have more luck at places like Home Depot for water dishes, house plants, etc.
You could check out a Michael's (or similar craft store). They have a lot of fake plants, often on sale. I have some that cascade down hanging on the edge of my enclosure. The fake plant pots tend to be heavy for stabilization.
What a nice tank set up!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Very nice setup,I like box turtles also, I have been picking up Pyrex, Anchor, and Corelle, type pie pans at thrift stores, to use as water dishes for some of my torts and they work great,and they don't cost much. I think people have quit cooking pies at home, that's why there are so many available for a dollar or less.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I would block the sides and back with the decorative aquariam type paper sold at petco.. the turtle might get anxious and scratch at the glass because they can see the activity but can't get out of the cage to play .. nice set up though ..

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
pryncesssc said:
I would block the sides and back with the decorative aquariam type paper sold at petco.. the turtle might get anxious and scratch at the glass because they can see the activity but can't get out of the cage to play .. nice set up though ..

I am thinking of doing that..I have also seen ppl make the inside like a natural wall...so there is no glass..i just have to figure it out

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It's looking really nice. For now you can cut a brown paper bag/paper and tape up a few inches. He looks really pretty. I love the fake silk plants for my viv. I kill everything else I put in. Can't wait to see it finished.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
WOW!! I can't believe the deal you got. That's going to look amazing. Try putting some moss or flat stones around the water dish, so it might stay a little cleaner longer

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
terryo said:
WOW!! I can't believe the deal you got. That's going to look amazing. Try putting some moss or flat stones around the water dish, so it might stay a little cleaner longer

thats a great idea!!.....yeah this little ornate is messy..lol

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
another idea is bird seed, sprinkle a bit over the entire enclosureit will grow in some spots be trampeld in others, provide a snack here and there and helps with humidity, seeing as its bird seed who cares if it is eventually trampeld to death. : ) i also find it funny when you can almost make out a virtual turtle intersection or round about where some seedlings have made it : )

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I went to OSH today and bought a bag of TOPSOIL...the ingredients are listed in the photo (hopefully its good to use), also i bought a sandstone stepping stone, that looks like a flat natural rock..I will place that under the heat lamp so it will warm during the day, giving them a basking area..and I got some more plants...soon it is going to look awesome!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
pryncesssc said:
Looks great ! I love the paint tray, I bought a mini one for my hatchling !!!

yeah it was cheap...i am not sure if ill keep it..but it was what I could find in a pinch.....

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
jojodesca said:
yeah it was cheap...i am not sure if ill keep it..but it was what I could find in a pinch.....

I'm prob gonna keep it and get a bigger one when she grows .. u can't beat the price and its sooo easy to get in and out of ! Plus if it gets gross or damaged, buy a new one for cheap !

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
pryncesssc said:
jojodesca said:

I'm prob gonna keep it and get a bigger one when she grows .. u can't beat the price and its sooo easy to get in and out of ! Plus if it gets gross or damaged, buy a new one for cheap !

that is so true..the price of the paint pan vs. the turtle ramp from ZooMed is a huge difference....i just wish they came in different colors..hahahaha

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
jojodesca said:
that is so true..the price of the paint pan vs. the turtle ramp from ZooMed is a huge difference....i just wish they came in different colors..hahahaha

Haha maybe you could paint it :p jk

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
one thing i would point out it the location of the water "i" would lay it against one of the sides , this way when the turts want to go from one side to another they dont have to walk through the water and drag in lots of dirt, this will atleast give them a trail on the side in which cuts down on the dirty water

just my two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.