Wonky spinal scutes?! Help!

Ashley & Rolo

Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hello tortoise friends! New to the forum and hoping you can share your vast tortoise-y knowledge! I'm in panic mode right now!

I got this little guy a few months ago, hatched July 2022.

I was looking back at his weigh in day pics and noticed his spinal scutes are progressively moving off to one side - what on earth is causing this and is he in any pain? I feel awful for not noticing this but I look at him for hours a day so didn't notice the change over time.

My other worry is that it looks like the scutes aren't growing as fast underneath each one causing little flaps to form on top. Research tells me these may be stuck scutes - would you agree? If so, would this cause the spinal scutes to be wonky?

How can I help him? I've seen suggestions of the q tip and oil trick along his scute lines but I'm hesitant to do this without being sure of the cause. Also seen that introducing mazuri will increase his protein intake which might help his shell growth?

First time tortoise keeper so I've been learning quickly and really want to make sure he's happy and healthy. He's in a closed chamber, humidity between 55-70%, temps vary from 26c in cool end and 32-34c in basking spot. Coco coir substrate sprayed once or twice a day. He was on a dry substrate before I got him so I think there is some very early pyramiding but his new growth around the sides seems to be much smoother.

He's fairly active and loves a stomp but does spend a lot of time in his basking spot, diet is lacking at the mo due to getting him in the winter but will be growing some bits for him once it warms up a little more so plan to improve that asap. Currently eats Florette Crispy, romanie, pak choi, radicchio, kale etc but is turning his nose up at the dandelion leaves and grasses I've offered his so far. He gets a pinch of calcium 2-3 times a week.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, the nearest reptile vet is 1hr each way so I suppose I'm hoping you'll tell me it's all ok and I don't need to put him through that trauma unnecessarily! But I'll get him straight there if you agree it's needed.

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bump the basking up, should be between 95-100.
Bump up humidity, should be 80%. No spraying the substrate, get it damp underneath, bottom layers. Pour warm water in the corners to wet the underneath.
As for his shell, he looks fine to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Quite often WE can't really see from a picture what YOU are seeing in real life. I can't see any scute lifting. In the pictures the tortoise looks fine.

Ashley & Rolo

Kent, UK
Bump the basking up, should be between 95-100.
Bump up humidity, should be 80%. No spraying the substrate, get it damp underneath, bottom layers. Pour warm water in the corners to wet the underneath.
As for his shell, he looks fine to me.
Thanks so much @wellington - temps been bumped and will water the substrate as you suggest. Good to hear you think the shell is ok, will monitor but with less fear and panic from now on!

Ashley & Rolo

Kent, UK
Hi, and welcome!

Quite often WE can't really see from a picture what YOU are seeing in real life. I can't see any scute lifting. In the pictures the tortoise looks fine.
Thanks @Yvonne G - it was quite shocking to suddenly notice such a change but feel better after reassurance from everyone here 😊