Orange between scutes?

HannahHermann

Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga Springs
Hi everyone,
I just noticed while soaking Whiplash, a male Hermann's, that in between his scutes on his carapace it is orange. I have noticed a lot of growth with him since we got him from Petsmart. (I know that's a bad idea, but we had the habitat all set up and were looking for a breeder and he was in a small tank with a Russian tortoise and he was getting rammed and not allowed by the food bowl by the other tortoise. I couldn't leave him there.) He came with the little chips on his shell and he was very thirsty and kept in dry conditions but appears to be thriving in the last 5 months. He has a great appetite and eats mostly arugula, mustard greens, and kale with a little shaved cucumber and about a teaspoon of red bell pepper for a treat. He gets calcium 3 times a week and reptivite once a week . He soaks almost everyday. I have a little bit of a hard time keeping his humidity up to 70%, sometimes I come home and it's around 50% probably because it's winter where we are in the Northeast and the heat is on so it's dry in our apartment. He has a UVB light and a basking area and a hide and lots of space and orchid bark with some Eco Earth underneath to dig in. I know he's growing because I measure him and he has a vet appointment coming up but I'm concerned about the orange between his cute and it almost looks like they may be overlapping a little bit towards his head. I don't think he was growing correctly in the beginning of his life and then he was showing growth with a lighter color in between his scutes, so I thought that was good, but now it is orange, except the one that goes all around his shell, that is still white ish. He is going to the vet and I'm going to ask the doctor but I just wanted to ask The Forum because I'm worried about him. Thank you! (I attached a photo of his plastron too, to see if that's growing ok)
-Hannah20211107_112817.jpg20211107_112849.jpg20211107_112815.jpg20211107_112837.jpg

HannahHermann

Saratoga Springs
Hi, welcome to the forum! The line running vertically on the plastron is a growth line, which is good.
The lines between the scutes seem like new growth, I'm not sure if the shell could colour it, but other members can help @Tom @zovick @maggie3fan
@Yvonne G
Thank you! I did not know about his growth line, I look forward to any more feedback!

HannahHermann

Saratoga Springs
Whiplash is a male Horsefields tortoise (russian), not a Hermanns. And like The Last Green has said, the lighter color between the scutes is new growth. Nothing to worry about.
Wow, I did all this research on tortoise care and just believed what the pet store told me about what species he is! Thank you for correcting that!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Don't worry! Here is the caresheet for your tort, follow it religiously

HannahHermann

Saratoga Springs
Thank you so much! While I have the pictures up I was wondering if anyone has any idea how old he is? I know it would be an estimate. He is 4.5 inches long, 11 inches in girth.