Wild Tortoise Hibernation

Grahammass

Location (City and/or State)
Almaty Kazakhstan
Hello Everyone I hope someone can help, I'm a British expat living in Kazakhstan and a wild tortoise has appeared in my garden. It is late in the year here and already freezing in the morning. Experience in UK was just to place a tortoise near or in the woodpile and it would hibernate. Did this but then thought about the difference in temperatures, did some research and found they are supposed to bury themselves. This tortoise is either stupid, late or perhaps ill. What to do people? Do I bury it? How deep?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

Are you sure it’s a Russian tortoise (pictures of the top and bottom of the shell would help). And what makes you think it’s ill?

Is it possible it is someone’s escaped pet? Russians are notorious for breaking out. At this time of year, my Russian is dedicating quite a bit of time trying to climb into our house as well as testing every chink in our wall, trying to find new territory before we hibernate her. The date right now is almost exactly when we found her, trotting across the road.

If it’s not obviously ill, I would let it hibernate on its own. They are native to your area and are good diggers. He’ll perhaps go up and down for a few days, figuring out the best spot. Mine is testing out several spots right now (although she’ll ultimately hibernate in a fridge, since it’s damp here.) If you have a chance to eyeball the what seems like most popular spot and determine it is unlikely to flood, I’d let him take it. Other than that, I’d let it alone.

In case anyone comes along and talks about indoor hibernation, I woouls remind them that this tortoise is native to Kazakhstan, where the winters are very cold and dry. This is the climate they were built for.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I think putting it next to the wood pile is a good idea. He'll go under there and dig down into the earth. The wood over him will help insulate from the frost. Don bury him. He will do that on his own. It takes a while. they dig then sit there, then dig, then sit there. This is rather late in the season for him to still be up and about. In their native land, they hibernate/brumate for 6 or 7 months out of the year, and are usually long buried by now.

Grahammass

Almaty Kazakhstan
Good Morning Yvonne & Rosemary,
Thanks for the advice. I have a video that I will post later - On a work computer at the moment and connection to my phone prohibited. My concern is simply that it is so late and although the garden we have is huge we are on glacial scree so very rocky and it will get deep in snow very soon. There is no chance of flooding. We are over 3,500' above sea level as you are both in the US - think Denver. We have had snow already 2 weeks ago which was my real concern and why I think our visitor is in need of a calendar:) In short right now by the wood pile under some cover with some hay. I can only hope there is enough remaining warmth in the year to enable excavation activities.
Graham