Hibernation Humidity?

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
I did a lot of research and decided to hibernate my Russian Tortoise in the fridge. Currently the fridge is around 70% humidity, but I heard that Russian Tortoises hibernate at special temperatures. What humidity does the box need to be at? Also, is it too soon to start the fasting period?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Where are you located that your thinking about starting the fasting? Most areas in the United States is still very warm.
Also have you owned your Russian for at least a year? It's not recommended to hibernate them if you haven't owned them for that amount of time, as you don't know much about its health yet.
I don't hibernate mine. I would imagine though you don't want humidity. Cold and humid makes a sick tort.
Hopefully someone that does hibernate them will be along

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Thanks for your quick reply! I only got him in around May, so i will definitely take that into consideration. But does not hibernating a tortoise shorten their lifestyle or damage their reproductive system? These are the main reasons I want to hibernate him, and I know there is a lot of debate about this topic.
Where I live, it's around 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit outside. My tortoise does have an outdoor enclosure, but I'm afraid it's too cold on rainy days, and he's been inside for a while.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nothing at all wrong with keeping a tortoise up over the winter. Hibernation, actually in tortoises it's called brumation, is merely a means for an animal to get through a long, cold period of no sun. If you provide warmth and light, he doesn't need to brumate.