Hibernation Help

hyberdeficit

We are a bit confused. We have had our Russian Tortoise for about 2 and 1/2 years. We live in Maryland so Fall has arrived over the last few weeks. She has begun what appears to be hibernation in her indoor habitat and has burrowed into the substrate for about a week and a half. She really hadn't done this up to now. We checked on her and she feels heavy and did move her legs and head. Is it normal for indoor Russians to hibernate without it being "outdoors" cold and how long should we expect her to hibernate indoors under normal house temperatures. Thanks

Mac1967

Location (City and/or State)
Hampstead, NC
They won't hibernate indoors when the heat is on in the winter but they will slow down. I use to hibernate mine outside in the North east as long as you keep them dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise is hiding, not "hibernating.

The shorter days and cooler weather of fall make them want to go into hibernation. They cannot hibernate at room temps.

You must make a decision. Do you want to hibernate your tortoise, or do you want to keep it up all winter long?

We can advise once we know which way you want to go. You cannot safely allow the tortoise to continue as it has been.

hyberdeficit

Your tortoise is hiding, not "hibernating.

The shorter days and cooler weather of fall make them want to go into hibernation. They cannot hibernate at room temps.

You must make a decision. Do you want to hibernate your tortoise, or do you want to keep it up all winter long?

We can advise once we know which way you want to go. You cannot safely allow the tortoise to continue as it has been.

Thank you for responding. I don't think we want to hibernate so could you advise?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for responding. I don't think we want to hibernate so could you advise?

Thanks

Here are some general tips:
1. Warm things up during the day for a while. Add heat and basking bulbs as needed so that you have a basking area around 100 and the rest of the enclosure stays 80-85 during the day.
2. Brighten things up during the day by adding a long tube style florescent. Find one in the 5000-6500K color range and set it on the same time that controls your basking bulbs.
3. Keep the night temps warmer than you usually would for this species. 75-80 is usually good. Use a CHE set on a thermostat to achieve this since they still need it dark at night.
4. Do daily warm soaks for a while. Use an opaque tall sided tub and make the water warm and about half way up the shell. Leave him in there for 20-40 minutes. Keep it warm and refresh with clean water if he poops, which is very likely.
5. Extend the daylight hours. Have your light timer turn the enclosure lights on an hour before sunrise and then leave the lights on for a good two hours after sunset. We need 13-14 hours of daylight here.

Do all of these things and keep doing them for as long as it takes. Some of them snap out of it within a few days and some persist for weeks. Check back in with us and give us your updates and observations and we might have some more tips along the way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
IN ADDITION TO WHAT'S BEEN SAID ABOVE, every time you walk by the habitat take the tortoise out of his hiding place and place him in front of the food. Many times a day. Disturb him often.

hyberdeficit

Here are some general tips:
1. Warm things up during the day for a while. Add heat and basking bulbs as needed so that you have a basking area around 100 and the rest of the enclosure stays 80-85 during the day.
2. Brighten things up during the day by adding a long tube style florescent. Find one in the 5000-6500K color range and set it on the same time that controls your basking bulbs.
3. Keep the night temps warmer than you usually would for this species. 75-80 is usually good. Use a CHE set on a thermostat to achieve this since they still need it dark at night.
4. Do daily warm soaks for a while. Use an opaque tall sided tub and make the water warm and about half way up the shell. Leave him in there for 20-40 minutes. Keep it warm and refresh with clean water if he poops, which is very likely.
5. Extend the daylight hours. Have your light timer turn the enclosure lights on an hour before sunrise and then leave the lights on for a good two hours after sunset. We need 13-14 hours of daylight here.

Do all of these things and keep doing them for as long as it takes. Some of them snap out of it within a few days and some persist for weeks. Check back in with us and give us your updates and observations and we might have some more tips along the way.
We're very grateful for the help and information. So thanks so much and we will keep you posted. It's good to know that there are people out there willing to help.

hyberdeficit

IN ADDITION TO WHAT'S BEEN SAID ABOVE, every time you walk by the habitat take the tortoise out of his hiding place and place him in front of the food. Many times a day. Disturb him often.
Thanks so much. We so appreciate your help.

hyberdeficit

We have been trying to keep Shelly active by taking her out and letting her roam around indoors. She does roam and explore. However, when we try to get her to eat her favorite lettuce she turns away and shows no interest whatsoever. We even try and put her and her food back in her enclosure to try and see if she'll
eat but with no success. I was thinking she was in a state of depression, maybe? and therefor not eating. Is this even possible with a tortoise? I also was thinking getting another tortoise may help to improve her activity level. is it a good or bad idea to do so?

Thanks,
Hyberdeficit

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not depressed. Tortoises have to clean out their digestive tract prior to hibernating or the food will rot. So he's not eating in order to have a clean digestive tract. You just have to keep doing what you're doing. You have to fool him into thinking your days are long and summer-like. That was the reason Tom suggested the bulb he did. That bulb is very bright and will tell the tortoise that summer is here.

M

Maggie Cummings

Also Russians want weeds. They don't especially care for produce or grass. I collect dandelions for my Russian and my Hermanni, both with turn down kale or romaine for weeds...
Mine have also slowed down. But I don't hibernate anybody. I do almost exactly what Tom told you.

hyberdeficit

No, not depressed. Tortoises have to clean out their digestive tract prior to hibernating or the food will rot. So he's not eating in order to have a clean digestive tract. You just have to keep doing what you're doing. You have to fool him into thinking your days are long and summer-like. That was the reason Tom suggested the bulb he did. That bulb is very bright and will tell the tortoise that summer is here.
Thanks for the advice. It really helps!

hyberdeficit

Also Russians want weeds. They don't especially care for produce or grass. I collect dandelions for my Russian and my Hermanni, both with turn down kale or romaine for weeds...
Mine have also slowed down. But I don't hibernate anybody. I do almost exactly what Tom told you.

This is really good to know. Thank you.