to late for short hibernation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
This is probably a stupid question. I read that russians can benefit from as little as a few weeks of hibernation. Right now it's too cold here in Ohio to put them outside yet. It will probably be warm enough in a month or so. I was wondering if I could do a short hibernation period to encourage mating. Is it too late to put them under for a short hibernation before I put them outside? It's probably ridiculous, but I don't know much about hibernation, and I'm wanting to get into breeding, so just a question!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A tortoise usually figures out the hibernation thing on his own. He notices the shorter days and stops eating about 2 or 3 weeks prior to actually going to sleep. (In order to clean out his digestive tract) So, yes, in my opinion, its too late in the year to think about hibernation.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I agree with Yvonne. Wait and do it next year, and in the meantime do a lot of research into proper hibernation techniques. It's more complicated than most people think. Good luck! :_

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Another thing to keep in mind, if I am remembering your tortoises correctly, the female may still be a bit small for breeding. You are best anyway to let them settle in for a year and don't do anything extra to encourage breeding. I have never hibernated my russians and they breed regularly and lay fertile eggs (some of which I am able to hatch... that's always a work in progress :) )

Good luck with the endeavor though. It's great fun and it's good for the hobby to have more people working with these great little tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.