Wild Strawberries :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I found these as I walked home from work this evening. Sorry Joe, but I ate the ripest ones and they were yummy; you are asleep after all :rolleyes:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401815170.086985.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The wild strawberry here in the States doesn't have much of a flavor...sort of like cardboard.

chazd1984

The wild strawberry here in the States doesn't have much of a flavor...sort of like cardboard.
Actually those are called wood strawberries, there are actual wild strawberries here and they are delicious! The best way to tell the difference without having to taste them are that wood strawberries have yellow flowers and real ones are white.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
They are also called Mock Strawberries or Mock Indian Strawberries here in the USA. Scientific name is either Duchesna indica or sometimes Potentilla indica.

True wild strawberries, Fragaria spp., are tasty. The modern commercial strawberries the world over are a cross between two wild American species, Fragaria chiloensis, of the West Coast and Fragaria virginiana, of the East Coast.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
I have so many of those in my garden. My kids eat the berries and my greek gets the leaves. :)