Why does everyone name their tortoise Sheldon

Westb59

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I've watched a lot of tortise videos and most of them are named Sheldon. Lol. Where is the originality?

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think that the majority of the SHELDON owners think that they were the first to think of it.
I have five and only one has a name and that's a female named Julio. So I can't say for sure.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
We named ours Sergio after Sergio Aguero. The plan is to have an entire soccer team.

KSeaman

Washington
I have two Russian Tortoises one named, Crush and one named Knuckles, (Knuckles changed from Elvis) a Box Turtle named Ru Paul (wasn't sure if she was a boy or girl when I first got her and I have always thought Ru Paul Charles looked like a turtle.

Funny but Shelton never occured to me.

Shuler24

Michigan
Lol, we inherited our Sheldon from our niece who had the original name Shelly, cause you know...she was 6. So when we got Sheldon, and realized she was actually a he, we just went with it....but that being said, we also love Big Bang Theory, so it worked.

Tortoise MasterMan

Utah
I named my first tortoise Shelly, only to find out it was a boy long after we gave her away from some research.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sheldon/Shelly is a good unisex name to have when you don't know the gender yet. I've got a painted turtle that started out as Shelly but is now Shelldon lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everyone doesn't. I have no tortoises named Sheldon and never have.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Everyone doesn't. I have no tortoises named Sheldon and never have.
Absolutely agree with you Tom!!! NO to the name Sheldon for a tortoise. Or Shelly either.
"Torty" is SO much more appropriate. And it's neither male nor female.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My DT is named Chug, for his dogged determination. No obstacle is too big, too high, or too heavy! He reminds me of a long train trying to get up a steep hill. Chug, chug, chug...

Of course he also has nicknames; Chugster, Chug-a-Lug, WHAT are you doing?, no..No..NO!!, and Don't eat that!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My male desert tortoise is a rescue that had been run over by a car. The person who found him took him to a vet who repaired the broken shell with auto body filler, bondo. After the tortoise was given to me, his new name is Bondo, James Bondo. And you have to say the whole thing, not just bondo.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My male desert tortoise is a rescue that had been run over by a car. The person who found him took him to a vet who repaired the broken shell with auto body filler, bondo. After the tortoise was given to me, his new name is Bondo, James Bondo. And you have to say the whole thing, not just bondo.
Love it! :)

Tortoise MasterMan

Utah
My DT is named Chug, for his dogged determination. No obstacle is too big, too high, or too heavy! He reminds me of a long train trying to get up a steep hill. Chug, chug, chug...

Of course he also has nicknames; Chugster, Chug-a-Lug, WHAT are you doing?, no..No..NO!!, and Don't eat that!

:)