What's the deal with the name Sheldon?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
It seems everyone has a tortoise or turtle named Sheldon. What's the back story on this? I don't watch Tv or news or anything like that, so I'm obviously missing something.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Shell-don~~~~Sheldon. Hahahahaha...

This is only thing I can think of......Is there a tortoise or turtle name Sheldon ever on TV or movie. I don't watch movie at all.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's what I was thinking. Like the godfather. The don of shell. I dunno about Tv or movies either. That's why I was asking. Seems a whole lot I torts are named Sheldon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, The Big Bang Theory is quite popular now, and one of the lead characters is named Sheldon. However, I believe the name was popular for tortoises before the TV show. It's just a play on words - Shell don.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
My friend has decided Herman is a great tort name, she was very surprised when I told her about Herman's torts.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hah. That's pretty funny. I kinda do a play on the species if I name some.

Some of our names.
Zoey the zombensis
Spot the leopard
Astro the radiated
Yellow head the yellowfoot
Most the pancakes are obviously, flat jack. Jemima, buttermilk, short stack etc..
My mom named all the Egyptians tut, tootie, cleopatra, pharaoh etc.. I call them Egyptians
We have an elongated named big ear. Because he has huge ears. He's a turd and loves getting out and hanging with the yellowfoots next to him. Can scale the tall walls. Kinda funny.
I'm sure there's a bunch more. It's hard keeping with up a couple hundred of them.

dds7155

5 Year Member
we had a little poodle for about 15 years ,his name was dog ,, spell dog real fast d,o,g, and that was his name,,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter also had a dog named Dee-oh-gee. We thought it was pretty original, but soon found that quite a few people use that name.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My daughter also had a dog named Dee-oh-gee. We thought it was pretty original, but soon found that quite a few people use that name.
Ha. That's funny. I do have to say I have seen the Big Bang theory before. Pretty funny. I just never put those togethe

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yeah, I'm guilty of having a tort named Shelly, but she came that way when I got her. I call her Shelly Bean or Beannie for short, sometimes Beaner, but my neighbors give me the stink eye when they are in ear shot :D :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Sheldon - Shelled one - also Shelly. Franklin is another one made popular by the cartoon with a turtle of said name. I am going to go out on a limb and say Sheldon/Shelly is the Rex or Spot of the turtle world. Or if you are a cat person the Felix.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Yeah, I'm guilty of having a tort named Shelly, but she came that way when I got her. I call her Shelly Bean or Beannie for short, sometimes Beaner, but my neighbors give me the stink eye when they are in ear shot :D :D
LOL. They would not like mine then. My first two Sulcatas are named Taco and Nacho!

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Hah. That's pretty funny. I kinda do a play on the species if I name some.

Some of our names.
Zoey the zombensis
Spot the leopard
Astro the radiated
Yellow head the yellowfoot
Most the pancakes are obviously, flat jack. Jemima, buttermilk, short stack etc..
My mom named all the Egyptians tut, tootie, cleopatra, pharaoh etc.. I call them Egyptians
We have an elongated named big ear. Because he has huge ears. He's a turd and loves getting out and hanging with the yellowfoots next to him. Can scale the tall walls. Kinda funny.
I'm sure there's a bunch more. It's hard keeping with up a couple hundred of them.

I named my male pancake Pancake in Afrikaans, my female chocolate in German, so when they have babies they will be chocolate chip pancakes.