What's the deal with the name Sheldon?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Haha that's hilarious. My mom calls the one baby pancake that hatched a month ago here Bill. We have a breakfast place with the best pancakes called "bill smiths". Funny how we name our pets.

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
We love the Big Bang Theory, soooo funny and I was going to call my new Hermann Sheldon when I get it (roll on August!) but it IS a popular name so changed my mind

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I suspect it's a conspiracy. Perhaps "sheldon is code for something.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
my dad's dog is named that! lol
I had a room mate in 1988 with a dog named DeeOhGhee. He was papered and everything under that name. Had a little collor as well. Everyone who ever looked at the papers or the collar asked how you pronunced the name. I also had a cat once named Shyeeda because the teacher on my favorite show was datng a girkl by that name

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I named my male pancake Pancake in Afrikaans, my female chocolate in German, so when they have babies they will be chocolate chip pancakes.

Pancake= pannekoek in Dutch, I figure it must be similar in Afrikaans, which has it's origin in 17 century Dutch.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Pancake= pannekoek in Dutch, I figure it must be similar in Afrikaans, which has it's origin in 17 century Dutch.
Yep, Afrikaans is a Dutch/Germanic language. When you look at a language tree, Dutch, Afrikaans, and Flemish are all branches of German.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Whenever I see the name Sheldon I think of Garfield and Friends. Must be a generational thing.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I have a Sheldon and I named her (thought to be a boy at the time) Sheldon because she did not like to be touched. It reminded me of Sheldon from the Big Bang, he hates to be touched. Now she is looking to be a she so I have changed the spelling to be Sheldin. We talked about calling her Shelly, but I have a daughter named Rochelle that I have nicknamed her Shell and she said that it is too close to her nickname and I wasn’t allowed to call Sheldin Shelly. That’s my store and I’m sticking to it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shelby is another name I see a lot of. Another play on words, Shel by. I always assumed they were all just a play on the tortoises homes, their shells. I also owned a dog named DOG, pronounced dog and knew one named DOG but pronounced D.O.G. I also,like more human names for animals. I thinks it's funny to be yelling a human name and it's an animal your actually calling.
Love the dinosaur comic pics. Too cute