Why do older topics here get "closed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've used the search feature and found a few interesting older topics, but they're almost always closed.

Why is this? Is it encouraged to keep making new topics about something that's already been touched on?

Just wonderin'.

Oops. I should have put this in Help and Feedback. But I guess anything goes here so...

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Not necessarily that they are "old," but because the topic has ran its course. This usually happens with debatable topics, where the discussion gets a little "heated," but eventually all sides have made their point, and everyone is repeating themselves and the conversation starts going around in circles. That's when the thread gets closed.

IN some instances, where the OP asked a very direct question, and it was answered. Example:

OP: Hey, who's the admin of this site?
Josh: I am.
OP: Oh, ok, thanks!

....thread closed. No reason to keep it open.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I understand that, but most of the older closed topics I've seen are left pretty open with things that could be discussed. Then you see someone making the same topic when they could have used the older one.

I'm wondering if they automatically get closed if inactive for a certain period of time.

Take this thread for example, from 2010: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Do-baby-leopard-tortoises-need-humidity#axzz25Mzqr6hZ

I found that through Google, thus finding this forum. It's a topic that's constantly being discussed, is somewhat debatable, yet it's closed.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
May be only a question only moderators can answer.

Some topics, like the one you came across, are probably left open because it directly relates to husbandry and even though, yes, it would makes thing A LOT easier if people would just read stickied threads on this or that and not make new topics for the same old question(s)...those kind of topics do help people and generate interest topics.

Threads like the ones I was describing, usually involved "hot topics" like hybrids, or "all pet stores are bad" or whatever (its almost like discusing politics!). In many cases, the participants are not going to change their views and end up just cycling the same statements over and over, in attempts to prove their point.

In the end, it really is up to the moderator's discretion.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Tortus said:
I've used the search feature and found a few interesting older topics, but they're almost always closed.

Why is this? Is it encouraged to keep making new topics about something that's already been touched on?

Just wonderin'.

Oops. I should have put this in Help and Feedback. But I guess anything goes here so...

I was wondering same thing, I came across a thread where the person asked for opinions, no one responded or maybe one person did, then it was closed. I wanted to respond to it but couldn't.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Threads are automatically closed 6 months after the last reply. If it's something that is still relevant and you'd like the thread re-opened, you can ask a moderator to re-open it. It is still at the mod's discretion whether or not it's appropriate to re-open a thread. This is mainly done so that topics that are years old get revisited again and again

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Josh said:
Threads are automatically closed 6 months after the last reply. If it's something that is still relevant and you'd like the thread re-opened, you can ask a moderator to re-open it. It is still at the mod's discretion whether or not it's appropriate to re-open a thread. This is mainly done so that topics that are years old get revisited again and again

This is what I figured since so many older relevant threads I've come across were closed. Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess it makes sense since some of the older topic creators may not be around anymore to answer questions. I was just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.