Closed "Chambers"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Do you know why I can’t see any of your pictures? There’s just a sad emoji.
The forum didn't used to have the ability to attach pics directly. We all had to use a third party pic hosting site and copy/paste the IMG codes after uploading our pics. These sites are all shutting down over the years, so our pics just disappear along with these sites. For the last few years, we've been able to load our pics directly to TFO, so this shouldn't happen any more as long as TFO stays operational.

Ca136244

Arizona
Tom, I'm pretty sure you have said in the past that you don't use UVB lighting for your babies because you get them outside so much. The problem I have is that I can't get mine outside every day, so I feel that it is best to provide them with UVB light. I am currently using a 100 watt Powersun MVB (the smallest wattage it comes in), and it gives off so much heat that if I have it the proper distance from the surface and enclosed my entire table, it would quickly heat the whole thing up to well over 110 degrees.

Do you Have any suggestions? Would it be better to replace the MVB with a lower wattage heat bulb so that I can enclose the entire table even though I only get my torts outside twice a week right now? Or do you think it is better to continue as I am with as much of my table covered as possible. My little guys do seem to spend lots of time in their humid hide which is generally around 70% humidity.

when is a s skalata tortuous not considered a baby

Blackdog1714

Richmond, VA
I wonder if a 100watt heat bulb or a 60watt Che inside a 20 gallon long (30x12x12) would be overkill?
Either way you would want to link to a thermostat so you don't overheat. A 60 watt CHE would roast that small of a chamber unchecked. I have a 3'x11' closed enclosure that I heat to 90 on the warm end and 84 on the cool end with one 120 watt RHP and a 100 Watt CHE.

boxraddict

Florida
I have a zilla thermostat but am unsure about how to using it with a che bulb? I use them with my heat mats for snakes and my leopard gecko.... I was advised against using them with heat bulbs..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a zilla thermostat but am unsure about how to using it with a che bulb? I use them with my heat mats for snakes and my leopard gecko.... I was advised against using them with heat bulbs..
FIrst, only use a CHE with a ceramic based hood that is rated for a larger wattage than your CHE. I prefer the ones from Home Depot.

Generally, I put the CHE over the middle of the enclosure if I am trying to maintain ambient with it. Sometimes you need two CHEs spread out to evenly heat a larger enclosure. I place the probe in a far corner, down low but out of reach of the tortoises, and away from all heat sources. This will ensure that the coldest part of your enclosure stays above the minimum temp. I find the dial on the thermostats to not be very accurate, but that is a good starting point. Set it to 80 for tropical species. Then use a thermometer or two spread around the enclosure to check temps, and make adjustments to the thermostat dial as needed to get the temp in the enclosure correct.

Alexolivia

Michigan
Hello Tom,
I am in the process of getting everything set up before I order a hatchling from you and wanted some tips. This is from the last tortoise I had. Since then I’ve bought a tub uvb. I was wondering if it’d be easier to make this a closed top or to start over? I was also curious how to attach the lights in the inside, the will they be too close? The closed enclosure is just for hatchling stage, correct?

Attachments

• 00FFB4F5-BC93-4F5D-AA5F-CAB0307613EA.jpeg
    00FFB4F5-BC93-4F5D-AA5F-CAB0307613EA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Tom,
I am in the process of getting everything set up before I order a hatchling from you and wanted some tips. This is from the last tortoise I had. Since then I’ve bought a tub uvb. I was wondering if it’d be easier to make this a closed top or to start over? I was also curious how to attach the lights in the inside, the will they be too close? The closed enclosure is just for hatchling stage, correct?
Closed chambers simply separate the room air from the enclosure air. This makes it easier to maintain heat and humidity. When appropriately sized, they are good for any size tortoise.

They must be a minimum of 18 inches inside and 24 inches is better. In my 18 inchers, I use flush mounted light sockets and low wattage bulbs, instead of hanging domed fixtures. LEDs, UV tubes, and RHPs can be mounted to the ceiling.

TortoiseSupply.com