White Shell

_The_Beast_

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
After wiping, I just let the remaining coconut oil absorb. Based on what I've read on this forum, it doesn't hurt them, though it may cause substrate to stick to the shell if they burrow soon after. I don't think there's a need to repeatedly rinse after as the oil keeps absorbing and hydrating the keratin.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
After wiping, I just let the remaining coconut oil absorb. Based on what I've read on this forum, it doesn't hurt them, though it may cause substrate to stick to the shell if they burrow soon after. I don't think there's a need to repeatedly rinse after as the oil keeps absorbing and hydrating the keratin.
Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@wellington
She laid eggs ....!!!! That's what tortoise yoga is ...! This one is a female guaranteed. Was reading they may store sperm for years and lay fertile eggs without mating the next few years? There is no way she was around a male DT any time for almost a year. Whoa .....Slow .. Down . . Man what a kicker, going to go video it and post here.
Do I need to dig em up?
Whats a good incubator?
This days work is shot, gotta go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington
She laid eggs ....!!!! That's what tortoise yoga is ...! This one is a female guaranteed. Was reading they may store sperm for years and lay fertile eggs without mating the next few years? There is no way she was around a male DT any time for almost a year. Whoa .....Slow .. Down . . Man what a kicker, going to go video it and post here.
Do I need to dig em up?
Whats a good incubator?
This days work is shot, gotta go.
Wait what! I even looked up, could a female DT have a big gular? Nope, no way, etc,etc.
I was going to come back and say, I bet it's a female, until I read that no way could a female have a big gular.
I have no idea about the laws of DT eggs. Be sure to ask @Yvonne G or @Tom, they should know about law and can advise on incubating. Congrats, too funny.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Just WOW what an absolutely, spectacularly, Rocking Day. Working on the Sulcata expansion fencing watching her and POW.
So am I understanding this right. Dale is actually a female? That's what s/he was doing in the Yoga thread, laying eggs?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So am I understanding this right. Dale is actually a female? That's what s/he was doing in the Yoga thread, laying eggs?
My apologies for the confusion. This was Sally, she was singed /burned on her Carapace. Dale is our male that was doing what I thought was Yoga. It looked like an Egg Laying behavior but through me off due to he's a he. If I would not of seen that though I may have not seen this or looked for the eggs afterward. I may have just thought "O she's just digging." This world is full of surprises and they're fantastic when they are as cool as this.
Ordered a incubator until then I am going to cover the egg site with some Teff grass we have. I use it for bedding since it's the only thing I can get no one sells straw.
Boy Tortoises are sure fun !

Right now my wife thought Sally needed a "Postpartum" soak so that's where she's at, Ahhhhh.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My apologies for the confusion. This was Sally, she was singed /burned on her Carapace. Dale is our male that was doing what I thought was Yoga. It looked like an Egg Laying behavior but through me off due to he's a he. If I would not of seen that though I may have not seen this or looked for the eggs afterward. I may have just thought "O she's just digging." This world is full of surprises and they're fantastic when they are as cool as this.
Ordered a incubator until then I am going to cover the egg site with some Teff grass we have. I use it for bedding since it's the only thing I can get no one sells straw.
Boy Tortoises are sure fun !

Right now my wife thought Sally needed a "Postpartum" soak so that's where she's at, Ahhhhh.
Okay I see.
Yes,it's good to soak them after. If you notice, they pee in the holes, at least my leopards did, I'm assuming most or all of them do. Then it's the long dig, plop them out, bury them, lots of work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Just WOW what an absolutely, spectacularly, Rocking Day. Working on the Sulcata expansion fencing watching her and POW.
It is not legal to breed DTs. Its not legal to interfere with or disturb the eggs in any way. Your government knows what is best and they say you are not allowed to incubate the eggs of this critically endangered species.

So stop talking about it on the internet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is not legal to breed DTs. Its not legal to interfere with or disturb the eggs in any way. Your government knows what is best and they say you are not allowed to incubate the eggs of this critically endangered species.

So stop talking about it on the internet.
No, it's not legal. What the Fish and Wildlife tell you is that if it happens, you must let nature take its course. Eppsdynasty didn't breed these tortoises on purpose, but now that the female has laid eggs, the legal thing to do is let nature take its course, and leave the nest alone.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Well after lots of thought I felt I needed to state what had happened here ....
Sally was given to us by a Government agency a little over a year ago and we were told she was a Sulcata and she was Solid White. The color took us by surprise leading me to mis diagnosing the species she was. She was housed away from other torts but was allowed to graze in a DT pen for a few hours during the day. This only happened 2 maybe 3 times, I noticed head bobbing which I took for Bullying so I ended it. She spent a total of maybe 10 - 15 hours in the DT pen before I built her an enclosure all her own. She has been near NO Tortoises for a year now, especially any male. I can guarantee she was NOT bred this year and if the eggs are fertile this is a case of her holding the sperm for the last year. I do not know the exacts of what took place before she was placed with us, I do know though she went through 3 peoples hands before finally us.
These eggs WILL be treated as the law states ...Left alone for nature to take its course. This was a big learning experience for us and one we will not soon forget. So to those of you wondering if we were going to do the right thing and follow the law, Yes we are. It is a hard thing to leave it up to Mother Nature but what has to happen. If we want others to do what is right we have to do so as well and follow the law. I will keep the forum updated and hopefully in 100-120 days we will have some babies to show. It's up to Mother Nature now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know the poop was what this post was about, but what hits me is, "Wow! Look at those nest-digging toenails!!!"

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This girl is such a lover tortoise. This is almost an everyday thing. She just LOVES to be in the living room, in her soaking tub stretched out and relaxed. It may just be me but when she poops she doesn't move at all, it doesn't even phase her. Then as soon as I walk by I get this look ... "Ya mind getting that for me"IMG_0746.jpeg