White markings on my Greek tortoise's shell?

lemonbrains

Location (City and/or State)
Neverland
Hi guys. I have two baby Greeks about 6 months old. I rescued them from a tourist attraction place.

One of them, Jem, has white markings on her shell. The white marks appeared this week for the first time.

I soak them three times a week in warm water, I give them natural sunlight every day, the temperatures are all set perfectly, and they have enough calcium in their diets. Any idea what these white markings mean? I'm worried :/

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 9.24.30 PM.png
The picture below has a white heart on her shell! Spot it!
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 9.24.11 PM.png WhatsApp Image 2019-02-13 at 9.18.55 PM.jpeg

I don't understand what might be causing it and i tried washing her shell but the white markings won't go away. Help please.

P.S: THERE IS NO REPTILE VET WHERE I LIVE. So going to a vet isn't an option for me.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's not shell rot and there is really no reason to see a vet. Testudo are prone to these white films or markings that may or may not be a fungus on the shell. It's often due to overly moist conditions or from hard water stains. You can use a little athlete's foot cream with a tooth brush daily for 10-14 days to see if it dissipates. It's cosmetic and usually is not tied to any detrimental health issue.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It's not shell rot and there is really no reason to see a vet. Testudo are prone to these white films or markings that may or may not be a fungus on the shell. It's often due to overly moist conditions or from hard water stains. You can use a little athlete's foot cream with a tooth brush daily for 10-14 days to see if it dissipates. It's cosmetic and usually is not tied to any detrimental health issue.
Thanks very much your help.

lemonbrains

Neverland

Thank you very much!!! What a relief!

lemonbrains

Neverland

I have one more concern about the same tortoise and was wondering if you could give some insight.

Jem throws up clear-watery-type fluid in the middle of eating her leafy greens. The quantity she throws up is like 2 drops, but enough to make her whole tiny face wet. She'll eat, throw up liquid, and then continue eating. This behavior started last week and happens like twice a day. She seems fine to me (she's active, eating, basking, peeing, defecating normally).

Maybe its because I wet her leafy greens with tap water before giving it to her and it overwhelms her with the water content? Idk. Please help

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
The white markings are normal. We noticed it on our tortoise shortly after we received him, and he still has them to this day (one year later).

January 2018
January 18, 2018.jpg

January 2019
January 19, 2019.JPG