img_0258-jpeg.366395
shell1.jpg

shell.jpg

shell2.jpg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Thank You @mark1 ... I am almost positive that she has swollen joints due to being fed things like Dog Food.
And she just had a baby .....

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So don't know if this is proper forum posting but yes she had a baby. The most amazing thing, she dug it up. She must of had eggs we didn't know about. Not only a mamma tort but a painted survivor tort as well. Special in her own ways, a beautiful tortoise she is.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@mark1 ….. Here is a pic of Dale, one of our Desert Tortoises. IMG_0370.jpeg
Those black spots “legions” were white when we got him. Looked like the shell had been rubbed in those spots.
Here is a pic of Sally after her first Keratin Treatment. You can easily see that the white was damage and not a paint of some kind.IMG_0371.jpeg
I took this next pic to show you that a "paint" will still show up. This is the initials put on her.
IMG_0372.jpeg

_The_Beast_

Canada
Whoa, really incredible pics. Thank you for sharing and for ensuring Sally has wonderful care going forward ♥️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My new opinion is that she was singed lightly in a fire.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
My new opinion is that she was singed lightly in a fire.
That thought ... Hurts. I (with all do respect) hope your wrong. We sincerely love her and couldn't imagine the pain she was put through ... Why? I believe in Karma that's why I fill in for him when he's not around. Maybe Karma will find this ________. You may fill in the blank.
O, I will do the keratin treatments 1x a week and see what happens. The oil stays "Oily" on her shell for a good 3-4 days, so I figured once a week will be sufficient.

_The_Beast_

Canada
If it was fire/burns, it may have been that a clamp-style lamp was used instead of a proper fixture and it fell into the enclosure, starting a fire or otherwise burning the shell 😣 I'm so glad she's in your care now

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
If it was fire/burns, it may have been that a clamp-style lamp was used instead of a proper fixture and it fell into the enclosure, starting a fire or otherwise burning the shell 😣 I'm so glad she's in your care now
It is not a pleasurable experience to think "What the Hell" this poor girl went through. I will NEVER understand what people get from hurting an animal. There must be some real weird ____ happening in ones head to get pleasure from hurting something that is innocent and can not fight back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is not a pleasurable experience to think "What the Hell" this poor girl went through. I will NEVER understand what people get from hurting an animal. There must be some real weird ____ happening in ones head to get pleasure from hurting something that is innocent and can not fight back.
It may have been nature. Maybe a lightning strike that caused a fire where she lived in the wild. This happens.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
After looking at her shell this morning she has brown where the white was (before the keratin treatment). In the areas that were white she has a "perfect" turkey browning. It does look like she was in some kind of heat, causing the Browning of her shell.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Great job with your tortoises!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Well after hours of reading about Keratin it has led me right back to @Yvonne G recommendation. I never doubted the info just wanted to inform myself on Keratin and how it is repaired or damaged.

So coconut oil .... It does have to be cold pressed not expeller pressed. Expeller pressed does not have all the needed components for complete Keratin repair. It also needs to be Unrefined, the refinement process takes out again components needed for repair. If you DO NOT get this combination of coconut oil you are "Plugging" the keratin instead of it absorbing the correct chemical components. You may think MCT oil would work, right? NO, Medium Chain Triglycerides lack the Long Chain Triglycerides needed by the Keratin for absorption. Lauric acid is the KEY, it is what allows the Keratin to absorb and not just coat or "plug" the Keratin. I'll save you the copy paste info on lauric acid, if you'd like you may look it up and get lost in physics class. Without the LCT's in the coconut oil you are doing harm to a tort shell and NO good. As @Yvonne G says all the time "The shell has no luster," this is because the Keratin is drying out. The keratin NEEDS to absorb the Fatty Acids that are highest in coconut oil, almost 50% of the lipids (fats) in it are Lauric Acid components. Jojoba oil, Argan oil and the others all have LESS Lauric Acid than coconut, this is why it is the best. So to summarize Yvonne is 100% correct in her advocacy for coconut oil and this is why. Thanks Yvonne for another quiver in the old tortoise knowledge bag.

Had to edit this: Lauric Acid is also Anti-Bacterial.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Well after hours of reading about Keratin it has led me right back to @Yvonne G recommendation. I never doubted the info just wanted to inform myself on Keratin and how it is repaired or damaged.

So coconut oil .... It does have to be cold pressed not expeller pressed. Expeller pressed does not have all the needed components for complete Keratin repair. It also needs to be Unrefined, the refinement process takes out again components needed for repair. If you DO NOT get this combination of coconut oil you are "Plugging" the keratin instead of it absorbing the correct chemical components. You may think MCT oil would work, right? NO, Medium Chain Triglycerides lack the Long Chain Triglycerides needed by the Keratin for absorption. Lauric acid is the KEY, it is what allows the Keratin to absorb and not just coat or "plug" the Keratin. I'll save you the copy paste info on lauric acid, if you'd like you may look it up and get lost in physics class. Without the LCT's in the coconut oil you are doing harm to a tort shell and NO good. As @Yvonne G says all the time "The shell has no luster," this is because the Keratin is drying out. The keratin NEEDS to absorb the Fatty Acids that are highest in coconut oil, almost 50% of the lipids (fats) in it are Lauric Acid components. Jojoba oil, Argan oil and the others all have LESS Lauric Acid than coconut, this is why it is the best. So to summarize Yvonne is 100% correct in her advocacy for coconut oil and this is why. Thanks Yvonne for another quiver in the old tortoise knowledge bag.

Had to edit this: Lauric Acid is also Anti-Bacterial.
Hear hear as I always recommend coconut oil it helps the shell and looks great 🤣🐢🐢. Enjoy the tortoises and I am sure they will thrive in your care.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Here is a picture of how the coconut oil treatment is doing. This picture is before today's application, It is done every 7-10 days. The more time we spend with her the more we see her personality. The fire or what ever it was might be the cause but she is completely different than the other DT's. She acts more like a house cat than a tortoise, just loves sitting in front of the kitchen windows looking out. She more than any other tort we have seems to be more comfortable inside soaking or just enjoying the warm comfort.IMG_0594.jpeg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Wondering what ya all think of this ... The Coconut oil linger's on her shell even after wiping it down an hour after applying it. So the next day when it's soak time I pour the 85 degree water over her shell slowly to help rinse off the excess oil on "top" of her shell. After doing this 2 or 3 times all that oil on top is rinsed off, then I do not do it anymore. It is only done until the shell is not oily to the touch, what do you all think.CFBA337B-5F71-4A51-B0AE-53C12B82206B.jpeg