Which light fixture for UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So I accidentally bought one of the compact UVB bulbs for Rosie and I've only used it for short periods of time when she can't be outside for more than a day or two... My question is, with cooler months approaching (and my planning to build an indoor table-pen), what light fixture should I use?

Would this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3568558

And this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11326859

Or this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752589

Be best? I'm using links from petsmart since I get a discount...

Also, where's the best place to get the heated rope (online or store)?

Any help/input is much appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get rid of the coil light bulb. They can possibly cause eye problems/blindness, still under debate. Buy a tube fluorescent UVB or a MVB along with a Che. It you use the flourescent, then you might need 2 Che. If you get the MVB, you may only need one Che.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I recommend ZooMed over any other. I would also consider using a mercury vapor bulb instead of a tube fluorescent.

Best place to buy heat ropes is bigappleherp.com. They're completely waterproof.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
wellington said:
I would get rid of the coil light bulb. They can possibly cause eye problems/blindness, still under debate. Buy a tube fluorescent UVB or a MVB along with a Che. It you use the flourescent, then you might need 2 Che. If you get the MVB, you may only need one Che.

Che is a Ceramic Heat Emitter if you aren't sure. Like This

It needs to be hung above the enclosure in a cage fitting like this (This one is a clamp lamp, but it can be adapted to hang... the clamps are not very secure.)

They come in a variety of wattages like lightbulbs. 150W might be too hot for your needs!

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
I have a similar question, do I use a reflector dome for UVA/B lighting and a ceramic dome for 100 W heat?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Reflectors do not provide UV light. They are heat lamps

CHE does not provide light so is suitable for night-time use as well as day time.

Reflectors are lamps that make light and heat... you can use a standard household one. Great for basking, but no UV

For UV, the choice is a tube fitting (UVB only lasts around 6 months) or an MVB bulb (UVB and basking heat, lasts up to a year I think)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes the reflector domes are fine like this http://www.petco.com/product/9469/F...opRated_Reptile_2-_-Fluker's Clamp Lamps-9469

Hopefully it, the link above, will work for you. You can also go to home depot or a hardware store and get a metal dome work light. Just make sure they have a ceramic socket.

JoesMum said:

CHE does not provide light so is suitable for night-time use as well as day time.

Reflectors are lamps that make light and heat... you can use a standard household one. Great for basking, but no UV

For UV, the choice is a tube fitting (UVB only lasts around 6 months) or an MVB bulb (UVB and basking heat, lasts up to a year I think)

They are talking about the dome reflector lamp, that holds the bulbs.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
JoesMum said:

I have a "All living things 50 W UVA Bulb Neodymium Basking Bulb"
I think that is the MVB bulb you mentioned
What kind of fixture should I use for that?

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
wellington said:
Yes, and yes:)

Thanks! I am going to buy them tomorrow for my baby RF that is coming on Saturday. I'm very excited :D

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
This whole post is a little confusing to me.

For what it's worth, Walmart sells ceramic fixtures rated for 300 W that work just as well and cost around $13. They'll pretty much work exactly the same as the expensive fluker or zoomed brand. I use them for CHE's, MVB, whatever.

Also, feline, I may be reading this wrong but "All living things 50 W UVA Bulb Neodymium Basking Bulb" is not an MVB. It provides no UVB whatsoever. Just wanted to make sure that in case I was reading this right you knew.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Does that reflector dome for UVA/UVB that Anna linked to above include the MVB bulb or do I have to buy a separate bulb? And if so, which bulb is best?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mgridgaway said:
This whole post is a little confusing to me.

For what it's worth, Walmart sells ceramic fixtures rated for 300 W that work just as well and cost around $13. They'll pretty much work exactly the same as the expensive fluker or zoomed brand. I use them for CHE's, MVB, whatever.

Also, feline, I may be reading this wrong but "All living things 50 W UVA Bulb Neodymium Basking Bulb" is not an MVB. It provides no UVB whatsoever. Just wanted to make sure that in case I was reading this right you knew.
Thanks for clarifying that, about the All Living things bulb. I totally didn't even see that part of their post.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
feline8 said:
Here is what I bought:
1 Zilla Day White Light Incandescent Bulb (100 W) - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12462451

1 "All living things 50 W UVA Bulb Neodymium Basking Bulb" - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752666

I did not realize that the all living things bulb did not include UVB..

Are there any bulbs that gives off both heat (100 W) + UVA/B?

Return and get the light bulb shown in the link above in RosieRedfoot post. With that light, then get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) then you can use the two dome fixtures you posted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.