Where do I put my basking light, heating lamp, and uv? Does a baby Hermanns need uvba?

Eligperales

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Where do I put my basking light, heating lamp, and uv? Does a baby Hermanns need uvba?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Basking lamp should go over to one side or the other. This creates a warmer side and a cooler side away from the heat lamp. This bulb should be on a timer for around 12 hours a day.

Ambient heat, like from a ceramic heating element, should go over the middle in an effort to keep the whole enclosure above the set point. Some enclosures need two CHEs to spread the heat out. This/these should be run through a thermostat that turns them on and off automatically to maintain the correct temperature.

UV tube should be near the heat lamp. The tortoise's skin needs to be warm for the UVB to work its magic.

All tortoises need artificial UVB lamps if they are not outside getting sunshine regularly. UVA comes from just about any light source like your basking lamp or ambient LED lighting, so need need to buy special bulbs for this. It is possible to raise a tortoise with no UVB at all and provide D3 in the diet, but no one will recommend that.

Eligperales

CA
Basking lamp should go over to one side or the other. This creates a warmer side and a cooler side away from the heat lamp. This bulb should be on a timer for around 12 hours a day.

Ambient heat, like from a ceramic heating element, should go over the middle in an effort to keep the whole enclosure above the set point. Some enclosures need two CHEs to spread the heat out. This/these should be run through a thermostat that turns them on and off automatically to maintain the correct temperature.

UV tube should be near the heat lamp. The tortoise's skin needs to be warm for the UVB to work its magic.

All tortoises need artificial UVB lamps if they are not outside getting sunshine regularly. UVA comes from just about any light source like your basking lamp or ambient LED lighting, so need need to buy special bulbs for this. It is possible to raise a tortoise with no UVB at all and provide D3 in the diet, but no one will recommend that.
Do you have any examples of this ? This is what I’m building 4x2ft 10 inch high of box

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any examples of this ? This is what I’m building 4x2ft 10 inch high of box
You'll need to make an overhead beam of some sort to hang all the lights from.

I don't use open topped tables. They don't hold heat and humidity well. I prefer closed chambers for all species, and I go more humid for tropical species and less humid for temperate species like yours. But still much more humid than an open topped table.

Eligperales

CA
Thank you! I’ll post an update soon just to make sure I have it all right. Small question, for the cooler/ humid side I did some research that mint and polka dot plants are good and edible? What do you recommend.