Heating lamp

Boggy

My heating lamp is red and i am wondering that is a bad thing and can damage their eesights or anything.

Feedback would be highly appreciated, thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have read on here that red lights can make the tortoise eat there substrate. They can see the red light at night and I think it messes with them. They need it dark at night. If you need heat at night but don't want light use a ceramic heat emiter on a thermostat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do think its bad, and I would recommend against using them. Tortoises need "white" light during the day and they need darkness at night.

It looks like a russian in your avatar. In most cases they don't need night heat. How cold does your house get at night?

Boggy

I do think its bad, and I would recommend against using them. Tortoises need "white" light during the day and they need darkness at night.

It looks like a russian in your avatar. In most cases they don't need night heat. How cold does your house get at night?
67 Farnheit or 19.5 cellcuis

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
67 Farnheit or 19.5 cellcuis

This thread is a few weeks old now. Did you get rid of the red bulb yet? You shouldn't need night heat at those temps for a russian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggy

This thread is a few weeks old now. Did you get rid of the red bulb yet? You shouldn't need night heat at those temps for a russian.
No, I did not but I will not have it on at night

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, I did not but I will not have it on at night

I think running it during the day is worse. I wouldn't use a red bulb day or night.

Is there a compelling reason why you don't want to switch it out for a white bulb?